1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 20th anniversary, Jock Rock 2000

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADanielPandR, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

On this day in 1999, ESPN released the last of its "Jock" compilations. (Jock Jams, Volume 5 came later in the year, but under Fox Sports.)

What songs from Jock Rock 2000 (or any installment of the "Jock" series) do you still hear on a regular basis at your local stadiums or arenas? It seems like "Machinehead" and "Ready to Go," just to name two, are still going strong overall.

2. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I hear Firestarter every now and again.

The next time I hear Zoot Suit Riot at a game would be a very welcome first time.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The real world did Jock Jams in. How sick and tired are you of Seven Nation Army or Sandstorm?

4. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I hear Seven Nation Army at EVERY preps football and basketball game I cover. It's a shame that this is the song Jack White is known for. When he wants to be he is a really great guitar player.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

SNA is even more obiquitous in England, where's it used in politics. Two years ago at Glastonbury..."Ohhhhhhhhh, Jerrrrrrrrr-emy Corrrrrrrrrrrr-bin!"

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I remember the first time I heard Seven Nation Army........and the only thing I could think of was "Of all the towns in America to mention in a song, you pick WICHITA?"

Of course, some of the MORE-ONS in the 316 think that's just the coolest thing since canned beer.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I think it started in European football. There is more of a tradition of singing and chanting and SNA is an easy thing for the whole stadium to do.

8. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I've never heard "Zoot Suit Riot" at a game either, which is kind of surprising considering it was also on the first Now That's What I Call Music! album. By the time the "Jock" series was over, most of its content stayed at sporting events, but started making room for more mainstream pop.

9. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I'll just say this: If and when a team has a '90s Night, which would entail only music from just before those songs came along (and little or no organs too), that will catch my interest more than any other promotional event.

10. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’ve heard Zombie Nation at games just as much as SNA, perhaps more so.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I was listening to a hard rock/classic rock station and Creed came on. I grew up when classic rock radio started in my area, which I now appreciate was only 10-20 years after most of the music played on the station was recorded. So when classic rock started in the 1980's what bands were equivalent to Creed now? Popular, but quickly mocked and largely forgotten until a retro-radio format started playing them again.

Draft saved Draft deleted