1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 15th Birthday, Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Chrome everywhere. It's made me impatient using other browsers. No frills, just speed.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Been a Firefox guy ever since the open-source-nerd techie at our paper turned me onto it several years ago, although I'll have to check out Chrome.

Amazing how time changes. Remember that Internet Explorer's release led the justice department to bring antitrust charges against Microsoft to break the company up into an OS and a software company, largely because Netscape was upset that IE was going to be bundled with new versions of Windows 95.

By the time the judgment was handed down, it was basically out-of-date, as viable competitors had developed -- both on the OS (Linux, Mac) and software (open-source, Google) sides.

It's amazing how big of a deal that was in 1995 and even into 2000. The dot-com bust happened at about that same time (I began to see it getting shaky right when the lawsuit was filed).

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

IE is prehistoric. Only used when websites demand it. Firefox here. Chrome is okay but doesn't play my internet music properly.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Really? Interested to know why you think that. Just curious.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd make love to my Safari browser, if I could.

I never thought IE was good. Ever.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Firefox and occassionally IE8 at home
    IE8 at work

Thinking of ditching Firefox and looking for something else at home as Firefox takes forever to load.
    IE8 is a significant upgrade over previous versions of IE, so it's not as bad as prior versions.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Use Chrome if Firefox is loading too slowly. Chrome runs much quicker than Firefox, which is one of the reasons I use it on my home computer.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Oh great.

Now, Internet Explorer is probably going to get all sullen and spend most of its time in in its room.

And, if you ask it do actually do anything, it will scream, "You don't understand me! Nobody understands me!"

Heck, it already spends its entire day on the Internet, doing who knows what.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had to upgrade to IE8 at work because my IE7 wasn't compliant anymore for FTP uploads to our vendors.
    Of course, the horrific CMS platform we have for our Web site doesn't work with IE8, so I have to sneak onto someone else's computer to tweak the Web site.
    Ridiculous.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Brilliant.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Web developers everywhere would request that you stop fucking using IE immediately.

Happy birthday, IE. Now die already.

Draft saved Draft deleted