1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happiness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree that it is the little things in life that help. My life really does basically suck right now, but I find myself thinking about the little things that happened to me during the day as I fall asleep every night. It seems to help me rest and take my mind off the big picture, leaving me somewhat refreshed to face another day of the same-old, same-old.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I was having a conversation with my 19 year old daughter this afternoon. She is a JV softball coach (whose team never gets written about ;D ) she is having a problem with her pitchers dad. He has started trying to call pitches from the stands and, since this is her first year, she isn't sure how to handle the whole situation.

I found myself thinking, in a rather overpowering fashion, that I just want her to be happy. I don't want her to have to deal with the crap that life deals out.

And, while not realistic, when she is happy, so am I.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I would tell her to tell the pitcher that you will call pitches, too, and she can follow whomever she likes, so long as it works. Then, when daddy's call doesn't work in a key situation you can ask her whose pitches she wants to throw.

It's JV...the AD has bigger fish to fry if you bench your best player.

Just my opinion.

4. Dirk Legume

SoCal, that's actually, kinda what she decided to do (and it was hard for me to let her decide, in my mind...she's 5). She also plans to point out that it is actually against the rules to call pitches from the stands...which oughta do it.

Sorry for the threadjack.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Glad to hear it. I'm sure she'll do just fine, most 19 year olds aren't mature enough to exercise authority over people who are basically the same age.

6. Dirk Legume

Thats actually her biggest problem. She says that the kids are fine with her, but the parents just see a 19 year old who used to be good at softball. I told her the only solution for that problem is to get older (I'm a big help like that ;) )

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would tell the pitcher that if she wants to listen to people in the stands she'll be sitting in the stands.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good thing my kid never listens to me when I tell him to keep his eye on the ball or just throw strikes or whatnot.

9. Dirk Legume

See? Thats what drives me crazy as a dad. My kid was a pitcher. She NEVER listened to me during a game. Where did I go wrong?

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm in heaven anytime I have my snowboard on my feet, especially with my friends. High fives and sunny skies.

Draft saved Draft deleted