1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happiness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 22, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Playing Ultimate Frisbee with friends (which I have done quite a bit of late), singing karaoke (which I haven't done in a long time), hanging out with friends, listening to music.

2. topsheep

topsheep Member

KY,

Find little things to do. Go to a bookstore and read a magazine; you might find an article that blows you away and boom! for a few minutes you're happy; a natural happiness, not something forced because you just had to be happy. Know what I mean?

Crossthreading, what about losing that weight that makes you unhappy? You have to start sometime, right? Trust me, a good, hard sweat makes you feel really good. And the more pounds you shed the more happiness you'll start to feel.

Basically, KY, just live life and don't worry about the happiness. When it's time to be happy, you will be.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Friends, beer, fresh air.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Doesn't take a whole lot ot make me happy. I am content with my Itunes and XBox running. Going to the gym is always good and anytime I can hang with my friends is great, no matter what we are doing.

Ever since I made the decision to go back to school I have been really happy.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I have definite interests but find it hard to actually get up and do them. I used to play sports and workout relentlessly. I used to read more books than anybody. I can't say I do any of those things very often presently, and yet when I do, I always feel better.

The best advice I can give anyone in a similar situation is, when you have a day completely off, DO NOT just sit at home or do banal shit like hit up fast food or the bar. MAKE yourself go out and do something active. Drive to a national/state park and go for a hike. Go fishing/hunting/skiing/bicycling/whatever. Even if it sucks and is hard it will infuse some vitality into you for a couple days. I give this advice because it works for me, but also full well knowing it is easier said than done.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You're definitely not alone, KY. My life's sort-of sucking, right now, too. Flight school's a pain in the ass, flying's stressful and not nearly as fun as it should be.

I'm hoping I can make it through a few more weeks that the summer -- read: finishing flight school and getting to Ft. Campbell and my new unit -- will bring some better days.

Till then, we've both got to make sure we take the time to do the things that make us TRULY happy: read a funny book, exercise, learn a few new recipes, etc.

If you want talk, I'll put my number on FB.

Hang in there, bro.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thanks TBF. I guess I just needed to vent a little, or a lot, when I posted that this morning. Thanks for all the responses so far.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My god, what a bunch of slackers. Why so long for ...

[​IMG]

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The Pulitzer made me happy Monday. Getting my tax returns refund. Having my significant other I never thought I'd meet move in two weeks ago. Holding tickets to go see Springsteen in about 10 days. Even just seeing the forsythia finally bloom this week in Detroit. I think you find happiness where you look. I had to clean out some closets for the SO's stuff and just getting that done made me feel better. A really cold beer. A perfectly grilled hamburger. Stop and smell the roses, it's a cliche but it's really good advice.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's what I'm talking about, 'stang.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Me too! But not in that order. 8)

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You know, there are few things in this world better than my puppy snuggling up with me. I hate the fact I only get to see him two or three times a month right now, but I know this summer I'll see a lot of him and I can't wait.

There was a magazine ad a few years back that listed all these shitty things that happened during a person's day. The last two were: 6:02, pull in the driveway; 6:03 see my dog's tail wagging. It is the simplest joy I have.

Draft saved Draft deleted