1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[hankhill]That boy just ain't right[/hankhill]

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Dec 9, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From our friends at fark,

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/news/page/4324/

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

There are plenty of guys in color guards today. It's something that's not frowned upon as much in the world of marching band. [/bandgeek]

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

At my old stop, we had a crusty part-time writer who had been there forever. He was generally a pretty agreeable guy: quiet, but he'd joke around some. The only time I had a joke go too far was when we were discussing how the local high school had a boy on the dance team. As you would expect, this kid was a tad light on his loufers. I turned to our writer and asked him, "Hey xxx, isn't that kid your grandson?" He harrumped at me and told me that, in no uncertain terms, he was no relation to our favorite bejeweled young lad.

4. T2

T2 Member

I'd forgotten that college marching bands used to be all-male. The article mentions that this guy was WVU's first male twirler since the band admitted women in 1971.

At Syracuse, women weren't allowed to march with instruments until 1966. Before that, the band was known as One Hundred Men and a Girl --- the girl being out in front with her baton, the "Orange Girl" on whom all eyes were.

Draft saved Draft deleted