1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hank Steuver's Bob Barker profile

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, May 10, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/08/AR2007050801994.html?nav=most_emailed

Hank Steuver is a writer who makes me want to put my typing fingers through a miter saw, he's so damn good. This Bob Barker profile is one more example why.

If there's any secret to how he writes features so well, my best guess is that he knows his subject inside and out, knows the right tone to take, and knows his audience. The part where he writes about Barker reminding you of your days sick at home drinking 7Up was brilliant.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good call. This was a tremendous story. Loved how he ended it with the big wheel and the "Boop".

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

"And there the concept remained: the chunky stagflation-era typography; the low-tech lights and buzzers; the glittery sets that appear to be covered in the felty hides of genuine Muppets; that jouncy, frantic theme song."

I mean, really. I'd surrender a finger or three to be able to write that well.

4. Never heard the stuff about contestants being unable to keep their prizes due to taxes. Makes sense, but never heard of it.

EDIT: I loved referring to the contestants in all capital letters. And the "sad tuba bleat"... laugh-out-loud funny.

This story was fabulous.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's pretty common. I had a neighbor who was in the Oprah audience when she gave away the car, and she sold it basically to pay the taxes on it. Plus, she didn't need a car.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

My parents would talk about how the IRS guy was probably waiting just around the curtain every time the Showcase winner would walk over to check out their prizes.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hotter than Holly? Never.

No way that line gets through my editing.

And there's no way the show is hotter . . . since there hasn't been a bikini since 1993.

[​IMG]

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was a TREMENDOUS read.

Loved this toward the end:

(And Barker is not boinking any of them, and they are not suing him for harassment or discrimination -- that sort of unpleasantness, which at one point involved multiple lawsuits with several former Beauties, is past, thanks for your question.)

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed. That Murderer's Row of Janice, Dian and Holly will never be matched.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It's more common than you think.

A girl I dated in college had a friend who won a jukebox, a trip and assorted other items, probably somewhere in the $25k neighborhood (in the middle 1980s). He had to dump all but the trip to pay the taxes.

"The Price Is Right" without Bob Barker could mean something profound to a lard-butt nation. Either he gets a life or you do. Maybe both.

I love this lead. The rest of the story was pretty damn good as well. An interesting read.

When they announced the grandfather clock, all I could think of was that Hank was at donnie23's taping.

Draft saved Draft deleted