1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hank Haney suspended from Sirius XM radio show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, May 31, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think what Tiger said would keep him off the radio. I think the sports media will keep him off the radio and use Tiger’s comments as some sort of reason. Brandel Chamblee has been hard on all kinds of golfers’ games in personal ways. He’s also wrong a lot. He’s still on the air though.

Haney committed a moral crime. And, look, I think he did, too. I wrote as much. But I don’t get into whether a guy keeps his job or not - or should be allowed to step foot on golf courses.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m sure someone read the thing. I imagine they agreed, not thinking about how...bizarre...the statement was.

What Tiger said was perfect. What Brennan called for is a political exile.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Aren't there certain columnists who have "no edit" clauses? Or am I making that up? Could imagine she'd be in that group if it exists.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The PGA Tour doesn't control Chamblee or other Golf Channel commentators, but the Tour was behind Haney's suspension. There's no upside for them to ever allow him back on their channel.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You're not making that up. I've worked with some.

Cosmo likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Serious question: why would you edit that out?

It's not offensive. It's not provably wrong. It's ridiculous, but it's Christine Brennan's name on the byline, not yours. She's paid for her opinion. The fact that you disagree with her opinion seems like a weak excuse to cut it out of her column.

Fred siegle likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think there's a point where an editor can say: You've made your argument with the networks. The next edict is absurd and may strike people the wrong way.

I'm not talking about censorship. I'm talking about editing. I mean, the aim of any piece of writing ought to be to make the best argument it can, not some argument that has some good in it and some "and not only that" paragraph that calls for worldwide exile.

8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

How does a celebrity having consensual sex with multiple woman equate into awful mistreatment? Was it because he is non-white and the women were white? Is consensual sex a sin?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A hell of way to treat your wife.

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

You do know this happens all the time with celebrities is sports, music, actors, reality TV. They cheat on their wives and husbands, not because they are morally inferior than the rest of us, they just have more opportunity. "Haney's not wrong about Tiger's treatment of women."

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do know this happens all the time. I find serial cheating to be awful treatment of the spouse and the women (or men) with whom a man (or woman) cheats. You're free to disagree, and have.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Haney needs to STFU. Now.

Maybe he has a point about what he's saying about Woods, but he's sinking deeper. And Woods might have the urge to defend the LPGA, if for no other reason than Cheyenne is still active on the tour. Saying something doesn't mean his past transgressions are suddenly forgotten, but does that mean he cannot say anything for any reason?

Draft saved Draft deleted