1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hank Haney suspended from Sirius XM radio show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, May 31, 2019.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Are they actually married? Are they still a thing?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When we go to all of these conferences and meetings and talk about growing the game, one of the key points is to be more welcoming to women. This ain't helping. Treating a professional tour like it's a joke is a bad, bad look, and he deserved what he got.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Because he's a golf guy, this is made worse, as Alma pointed out. The fact that he didn't think through what he was saying and hold back before giving it a little more thought in order to realize how it actually would come off didn't help.

I can actually see his point. I'm not sure he was trying to be funny, and can believe that he was, in fact, attempting to make a point about the, in fact, overwhelming success of Koreans on the LPGA Tour. The problem is that he made it badly, and thoughtlessly.

The other problem is that, there is almost no way to speak to the phenomenon without sounding like a racist jerk in some way. It doesn't mean the phenomenon is not going on, though.

As to the way he characterized the status of the LPGA, I would compare it to the way people see the WNBA in comparison to the NBA, and in that, the parallel is, in fact, accurate.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    RonClements likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I just googled them and no, they are not actually married.

So, for the record, Dustin Johnson was ranked number one in the world for 64 consecutive weeks and I knew exactly one thing about him... and it was wrong.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Stupid. Yes, there are a lot of South Koreans on the LPGA Tour. Se Ri Pak was a pioneer, almost a national hero on that front. Again ... what's the problem?

Hank Haney is an idiot. Seems to be perpetuating the "I don't care unless all the key players are Americans" issue. Issue with gender, too? Perhaps.

He should know better. The guess here is he doesn't have too many female pupils. If he does, they might want to opt for someone else.

I don't think they're married, but they've supposedly been together for a number of years. At least that's what the media reports.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Your average dickslap who doesn't follow golf, if you asked them to name five current golfers on the PGA Tour, is naming Tiger, Phil, Jack Nicklaus, John Daly and maybe Rory McIlroy but they're calling him Roy McAvoy.

wicked likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Bonus points for "dickslap."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dumb on so many levels. Though maybe he gets away with it if he says it during golf's offseason/football season. But it's Women's U.S. Open week, for chrissakes, when the golf world gives the women maximum attention.

And Tiger really dropped the hammer. He could have said "not cool" and kept it short, but instead he gave a full answer and enjoyed every syllable, undoubtedly as long-awaited revenge for Haney's book on him.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Certainly can’t be moral indignation. He’s tight with a racist, sexist pig in the White House.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And a Lee not only wins, but one who altered her name to “Lee6” because there were so many others with her exact name.

Still a dumb comment delivered badly by Haney, but a pretty damn funny postscript.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted