1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hank Gathers, 20 years later (sort of)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I was a sophomore at Michigan that year. I remember watchign that LMU 2nd round game and actually secretly rooting for LMU. It was just such a moving, compelling story. By the end of the game, most of us were openly pulling for them. We knew we weren't getting anywhere in the tournament that year anyway. Not in UNLV's bracket.

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

One of the best games I ever saw was the Sweet 16 game against Alabama. LMU won 62-60, as Alabama had a shot at the buzzer roll out. A young Bama fan at the time, it did not go the way I wanted it to, but seeing the contrasting styles face off and Alabama play so disciplined and controlled while facing that team with its style was great.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I wish I'd noted this when it was first posted so I could ask a question:

Quote from: boots on February 13, 2007, 08:22:05 AM
    The night Hank Gathers died was very tough. I remember telling two of his close friends, Doug Overton and Lionel Simmons of LaSalle University of the tragedy. Both were playing the final quarter of the MAAC championship game in Albany, N.Y. They both broke down while playing the game and the Explorers' coach, Speedy Morris, had to call a timeout to get them off the floor. I won't forget it.

This poster told them DURING the game? Did they play quarters back then? Why would he tell them during the game?
    And enough of the this poster used to be that poster shit. Yeah, we all know. No need to post it, OK?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That's a shiesty move, telling them during the game. Maybe he thought they'd play better or something knowing he died.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF?
    On press row, several of us found out about Gathers' dying. The late great Bob Vetrone, was the LaSalle SID at the time. It was about five minutes remaining in the game and LaSalle was in control. It was suggested that Beef (Vetrone's nickname) tell Speedy before someone else did. He whispered the information to Morris who during a timeout, told his kids.
    WTF is so complicated about that?

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That one also is prominent in my memory list, that Bo Kimble got 4 fouls in the first half, never left the game and didn't foul out. I remember him looking over at Westhead when he was whistled for No. 4, putting his hands in a "safe" sign and mouthing, "I'm OK."
    Probably bad coaching by Neil "I love Las Cruces" McCarthy not to work on Bo in the second half to get that fifth foul.
    Interesting line. Tied at halftime, LMU puts up 65 in the second half.

Loyola Marymount.............. 46 65 - 111
    New Mexico St................. 46 46 - 92

7. They players were told of Gathers' death in waning moments of the semifinals. NOT the championship.

From the NY Times story: Mar. 6, 1990:
    They were told of Gathers's death late in their semifinal victory over Siena on Sunday. The news was obviously devastating; some players were openly sobbing on the court and on the bench. After the game, Morris said that he would understand if those players chose not to play tonight.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dude, that was 20 years ago. The point was that it was a difficult moment. Who gives a shit if it was the finals or semifinals? You act as if you made a great discovery. You didn't. You made a correction. NOT being capitalized WAS NOT NECESSARY!!!!

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and you're full of shit, again.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Are you pissed that I didn't meet you in Seattle? Get over it. Better yet stay as you are.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I thought they were told during the seventh-inning stretch

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Drip, you're just a proven liar. It's actually quite pathetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.