1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hanging them up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

K, just checkin'. ;)

Come to think of it, Mr. Rosie is fond of blaming my perceived craziness on my years as a goalie. I just tell him I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Rosie,

I like to think of it that we have a courage lacking in others. :D

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I stopped playing soccer after my sophomore year of high school. I was really bad, which didn't bother me until I changed schools and it wasn't fun anymore. JV soccer should be fun. We know we're bad.

I am seriously lacking in coordination, a factor that was exacerbated by the fact that I'd only been playing for about three years. Sometimes I wish I'd stuck with it, but the reality is that I was never going to get close to a title in soccer, but I've got a nice trophy wall (well, cardboard box now) of debate honors.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I could have made varsity in that one. Problem is, no telling how many unscheduled ER visits I could have caused given some uncoordinated family and friends.

5. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Played four years of varsity football and baseball in high school. Didn't play either in college, but I took up "competitive" slow-pitch softball for 10 years after that. Traveled all over the country playing slow-pitch regionals, qualifiers, national tourneys and world series. Finally quit after blowing out an ankle again three years ago.

Much like this thread, people recommended coaching. I could never do the officiating, I'd kill someone. Coaching-wise, I'm fortunate enough that I can make sure I'm surrounded by good parents.

It's let me stay around baseball, but it's still real different.

Now, I see all my players doing the things I used to do. Blaring their Distrubed, Metallica, etc. in their cars as they pull up for games, trying to get themselves amped up. Doing their eye black just right or making sure their wrists are taped in just the proper manner. Going through the same warm-up routine over and over (dynamic stretching, long toss, pickle) and on the field (sprint off the field, hop the line for good luck).

Me, I still get that little spike of adrenaline when I hear their music, but it passes quickly. Once the game starts, there's not much you can do. It's up to the kids and that's the hardest part. I can only put the hit-and-run on, I can't do it for them. I can only tell them to bury an 0-2 curveball, not throw it for them.

As a result, I find myself really throwing myself into the non-game stuff: scouting, practices (which I hated) and organizational stuff (scheduling, tournaments, showcases, etc.)

Draft saved Draft deleted