1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hanging them up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Dude, I do the same thing. I just leave it open-ended. "I played in high school" doesn't mean "I was on the school team." It just means you played in high school.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh you definitely get to see it while you're working the minor hockey beat.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I still do road races, but I hung up my cross-country and track spikes after my last race in college.

It was at the Armory in New York City and I raced the 3000 meters. I took the lead from the beginning and tried to settle into a groove early. The pack caught back up to me near the middle laps (8 or 9) and I settled into the pace they set. It wasn't too fast and it wasn't too slow. Right where I wanted to be midway through the race.

I can still feel the pounding of the track and the jostling for position during the middle of the race. We came around on the 10th lap and someone kicked my feet. I began to stumble and someone pushed me to the ground. I fell onto the Mondo track and was scraped up a bit and looked up to see my coach yelling at me to get up and to get back into it.

Before being pushed down, I was well on my way to qualify for the postseason races and to run a personal record. I sprinted back to where I was and I was unable to take the win, but I came in 4th place overall.

It was a shame to end that way, but I have nothing to regret about my amateur running career.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

flash, are you a goalie now?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Nope ... I'm nowhere near that crazy ...

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

you sure?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey, I'm smart enough to know I may never play again. I'm also smart enough to know how much it hurts to block one or two shots a game. I sure as fuck am not going to stand in there and take that many every few minutes or so.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Hey! :mad: ;) [/former goalie]

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was a goalkeeper in my last season of competitive soccer. And yeah ... most of the league probably figured out I have a loose screw or two.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I stay on my toes by long-snapping the fresh laundry to my girlfriend the next room over.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey! That's crazy in a good way! I've even dated a goalie ...

Draft saved Draft deleted