1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hanging them up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Feb 3, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I coached hockey and baseball when my kids were younger

I never had a problem with the parents but I made it pretty clear from the outset that if they wanted to bitch about something, they'd have to wait 24 hours to vent. And I also co-opted the ones who obviously knew something about the sport to help out with the practices and games.

I'd rather coach than officiate. Then you really see what assholes some parents are.

2. After having Tommy John surgery on both ankles I knew that was it. I never played another down. Oh well. I now funnel all my athletic ability and competitiveness into eating.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How do you have Tommy John surgery on your ankles?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

After I tore my other ACL, I realized I was probably getting too old for competitive baseball.
    Eventually, after I get that fixed, I might return to a men's league, but it certainly won't be the same.

5. I don't know. I don't remember anything after the anesthesia.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My best sport was football and even though I was pretty damn good in high school, I realized I was not good enough to play in college, even at a school that, at the time, had a mediocre Division I program...

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

In all our years of coaching Little League, my wife and I often wished we could coach a team of orphans.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This is a sort of related thing. Even though I ended up playing other sports, I always have regretted that I stopped playing soccer in high school. The only reason I didn't was because the coach was an f*ing ahole and some of the players were snobs. I guess I was sort of a social late-bloomer and it was tough for me at the time.

But if I had stayed on, I know I wouldv'e been a better player. And mind you, our school's team had won I think something like 15 of 18 CT (correction: Class MM, not L) championships.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Shit; I thought this was another Jenna Jameson thread.

Continue on.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Lie upside down on the table.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm not a natural athlete. As long as I've played sports, my mind and my body were seldom on the same page. If I had half a brain, I would have given up sports at 12 and joined the AV or chess club or something like that.
    Despite that, I wrestled in high school and played rugby in college. I loved rugby enough that I wanted to continue with it after college, but a combination of factors (lack of medical insurance, unstable work and financial situation. morbid obesity) kept me away from the game.
    Two years ago, after an 18-year hiatus, I started playing again with a Division 3 club. I got very little playing time (still too slow and unathletic), but I enjoyed it, led the team in tackles per minute (3 minutes per game, 1 tackle on average, stood up a guy on the try line in the NRU final). I basically had to re-learn the game from scratch, however.
    Now another season is coming up. The Division 3 club is in the national championships and with an abundance of guys in their mid-20s at my position, I'm likely to see little, if any, playing time. I'm debating if I want to go back to practice and get whatever crumbs I can get in the game.
    The good thing is, I have another option. Last June, I played in an over-40 tournament, did OK and had the best time I've ever had playing sports. In the fall, I hooked up with another over-40 group. I got a lot more playing time (including one whole game) and wasn't significantly better or worse than most of the other people on the field. There's also no practice requirement with the old boys.
    Right now, I'm thinking it may be best to just stick with the old guys and not even bother practicing with the younger guys. Would you agree?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was me too, but substitute band for cheerleading

Draft saved Draft deleted