1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hanging them up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, Flash, I was too small and not quick enough for most of my school years. When I finally grew into an adult size, it came at the expense of my knee joints.

I can usually golf occasionally, but pain in my elbows (what is it about my hinge joints?) wouldn't make playing and practicing daily too practical.

I can usually play softball without much help, but need knee braces to play even touch football.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm not too worried about continuing with softball. There's not much body contact in it.

I guess the consideration of leaving hockey is made so difficult by the fact I only started playing in 1999. I grew up in a town where only the boys played hockey. The girls figure skated and dated hockey players. I did both. ;)

Though I didn't start playing until I was 28, I found I was actually pretty good at it. You know ... you wonder what could have been, if only I'd grown up in a different time or a different place.

And now I'm crying ... dammit.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I wish you wouldn't. Now I feel responsible ...

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Not your fault. Not the first time I've cried about it in the last week. Probably won't be the last before I finally make the decision.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Flash, do they have any no-check adult women's leagues up there? I know they have some no-check leagues around here.

I gave up on my athletics dreams really early. Never made it to the A level in Little League, even when in my final year I finally learned how to hit at the B-level, so I saw the writing on the wall. Not getting that call-up was really disheartening, and I still get annoyed about it every now and then, 17 years later. I tried out as a high school sophomore (a few short years later), but by then I'd forgotten how to hit, and I never could field, anyway.

I hope you find peace with your decision, ma'am.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I quit Little League when I didn't get "The Call" in sixth grade. I was nowhere near great, but I was good enough to play in the top league at that age. But my parents didn't know the right people so I didn't get the promotion.

Two years later, I tried out for the junior high team. and I would have made it if not for a baserunning gaffe during tryouts...I went from second to third on a grounder to the right side. too bad there was a guy standing on third.

I can't say I wonder what if, cause I wasn't that good and I really enjoyed the hell out of running track and cross country. But it would have been nice to keep playing baseball.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Baseball's probably the only sport I would've had a chance of doing decently in. When my timing is on, I can drill the mofo. Still can when I make my rare trips to the cage. Who knows whether I could've hit a curveball, though.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I sacrificed a bucket of KFC for you. :D

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Me, you, softball this summer. I'll show you how it's done.

(Now I'm totally talking out of my ass. The Fighting BYHs would beat the Wicked Fails 69-2.)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

no way dude. I suck.

It'd be like two old people humping. First one to one wins.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Flash,

Why not become a goalie?

You won't have to worry so much about your noggin.

Draft saved Draft deleted