1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hang with the hacks: Alabama shilling "press box experiences"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I happened upon this ...

http://rolltide.cstvauctions.com/auctiondisplay.cfm?auctionnbr=92807

Oooh, you mean I get to sit in the presence of Eli Gold as he stuffs chili dogs down his yap at halftime? And I get running stats per quarter? But I can't yell "Roll Tide!" any louder than the local hacks ...

Discuss.

rb

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember several years back Auburn was playing the team I was covering at the time and about three rows behind me in the press box there was an older writer from a Alabama paper I'd never heard of, watching Alabama on one of the TVs.

"THIS TEAM CHEATS! WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO REALIZE THAT THIS TEAM CHEATS!!!" He was SCREAMING at the TV.

Add in the accent and that was why several of us were laughing so hard we couldn't even stand up.

For a couple years afterwards whenever there was a silence in the press box, one of the beat writers would yell... "THIS TEAM CHEATS!!!"

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And all the Dr Pepper you can drink and be sure to enjoy the Golden Flake chips with Pistol Pete Hot sauce before going to the Regions ATM for cash.

Will they also have trouble connecting to the Press Box wifi? That's the complete press box experience.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I wonder which four seats will be taken away for such an "experience"?

rb

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Inasmuch as the opponent is Western Carolina, there should be room where the visiting media normally sits.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Do they get to ask Nick Saban a stupid question and then get yelled at?
    Preferably one about the battle for third string left guard, because everyone knows the entire season hinges on it and "the media" is just too afraid to ask the tough questions. And because every damn yokel in SEC country has an opinion on their team's offensive line depth chart like they're a fucking expert.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Winning bidder must be an Alabama Crimson Tide fan. "

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So, if it's the SportsJournalists.com standards...flip-flops, 'Bama hat (backwards), torn cargo shorts and a mustard-stained T-shirt.

9. rascalface

rascalface Member

Do you get laid off at halftime?

10. RecoveringJournalist

They prefer the term, "Re-apply for their job."

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Along with the Alabama class ring.
    Dealing with these jamokes in what's supposed to be a working environment is another one of the reasons minor league football sucks.

12. RecoveringJournalist

So, it's a Martin Fennelly lookalike contest? (minus the Bama hat)

Draft saved Draft deleted