1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hang 'em High

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 11, 2006.

1. http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060911/NEWS05/609110380/1007/NEWS

Wow.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As much as I'm normally inclined to agree, the district does indeed have a dress code that specifically prohibits writing, regardless of the subject matter.

And while the quote from one of the kids is admirable, he's forgetting one thing:
    "I think I'm standing up for what I believe is right," Jaicen said, adding that his parents explained that the First Amendment means "freedom of speech and everything, like the right to say something you feel is right."

Uhm, freedom also comes with a price, and if you aren't willing to pay it, you don't get to exercise it. If you decide to uphold your freedom of speech, there's consequences that go with it. Just like if I were to call a certain board member a goat-fornicating malcontent.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think we did 20 pages on this last spring, with the, uh, ambiguous-looking chick from the south.

Only this time, it's daddy encouraging it, not a high school senior.

In this photo by their dad, twins Jaicen and Monique Massa, 13, and Jaymie Massa, 11, right, show off the shirts that got them suspended.

You got your 15 minutes of fame, pops, plus a reach around by the Michigan ACLU. Now, just see to it that the precious little ones can read and write:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31734/

4. We used to admire people like this.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/15/AR2005091502238.html

Now we have to make sure that we raise another generation of sheep.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Lost me here.

And I don't respect someone who marches anti-war protests into classrooms under the guise of Constitutional education.

*and before you lash into me, I realize her free speech *is* part of the Constitution*

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I thought this was thread about former major league pitcher Al Levine, or, is he still in the bigs? My friend, an Angels fan, always called him "Hang'em High" Al Levine.

7. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Just another reason for kids to wear school uniforms, at least through middle school. There are enough disruptions at school without some kid trying to put the attention toward his or herself, rather than what's important: learning.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Just wear what the school asks.

Fuckin christ.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

If I had my way the kids would wear uniforms all the way through high school. Then I would not have to pay my hard earned money on pants for 17 year old daughter that are ALREADY TORN.

I have never understood that fashion statement. But then again, I wore Toughskins when I was a kid.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have not problem with the dress code. What is the point of the first amendment on the shirts? Are they protesting against the dress code?

If so and they feel that strongly about it, more power to them.

If they just want to show a little love to the first amendment, they can hand out pamphlets or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted