1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Handymen & Women-- I'm Stumped

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If there are windows on either side, run fishing line from both to the wreath. That'll cut down on the wind-induced swinging. You could also run line from the wreath to the ground to secure it as well.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Put in a door. Hang wreath on door. Problem solved. :D

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hell, just paint a wreath on there

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What if I used this "roof shingle clamp" and fishing line?

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/Roof/Shingle-Clamp---5pk-Hooks-and-Hangers--19673--103.htm

Thoughts?

(It would not work to attach line to windows... this surface sticks out from the rest of the house.... it's kind of like a gable... hard to explain.)

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That should work. Though I can't say for sure since I've not seen the house in question.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did I stutter?

Super. Glue.

Then you can just climb up there and put like eggs in it for Easter, and fireworks in it for Fourth of July. It's year-round!

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Why not a nail? Is it an inflatable house?

If you string it up with fishing line or wire, there's a pretty good chance it will move around in the wind, rubbing against the house, and leave a mark that's going to be a lot easier to see than a little nail.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If there's an attic vent above it, use some twine. But seriously, tacking a couple of nails in the side of the house won't hurt it. You can fill it with drywall filler and paint over it when you finish.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Since you have wood siding is there a transition trim piece between the siding and the soffit?

If so, is it wood?

If it is just put an eyehook in the bottom side of the trim piece and run the fishing line down from there. If there isn't a trim piece just put a nail up next to the soffit and roll a peice of painter's tape to keep the wreath in place.

I have wood siding on part of my house. The wood has a grain. If you put a nail in it you can blend in a small nail hole with indoor/outdoor caulk and a small dab of matching paint. The caulk won't dry out and shrink as the weather changes.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ooooo... you guys are smart, and I knew I'd find a few of you here. One of my favorite movie lines of all time is from Anne Heche to Harrison Ford in 6 Days, 7 Nights...

You're one of those men, aren't you?

Those men?

You can go into the woods with a popsicle stick and build a shopping mall.

:)

But here's the problem. Ok. Let me try to explain. First of all the house is fairly newly renovated. The front exterior of the house is completely re-done, so the siding is brand new. Picture a front patio that leads to a front door. Hanging over that patio is a triangular gable with it's own "shed roof"... not sure if that's the right word. Anyway, this triangular gable has a sort of vertical siding on it. It's not really 'siding' as much as it is a pretty "striped" wood detail. Unfortunately, the wood on that gable is mainly smooth. The rest of the house has cedar shakes siding. It may sound hideously ugly, but it actually works. The triangular gables on the house are painted a cream color, so a nail hole would show, I think.

That said, picture a lovely 36" green wreath centered on that triangle. It would be sooo festive. I've wanted to do this so badly for 2 years but haven't been able to figure it out.

IJAG: Good to see you're nuts as always.

11. Machine Head

Are the soffits wood?

If so look for the nail line attaching the soffit to the rafter lookout:

[​IMG]

Put an eyehook on the nail line where the siding and the soffit meet. Or you may not need to hit the rafter to hanger the wreath, depending on weight.

If the soffit is not wood look to see how they are attached. At times there will be a two by or smaller piece of wood attached/nailed to the house and used as a nailing strip for the soffit or the trim:

[​IMG]

If this is the kind of soffit you have just drill a hole for the eyehook in the soffit trim attached to the side of the house:

[​IMG]

If none of this works for you get a hologram projector.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Machine Head

[​IMG]

http://www.robotbuy.ca/products/Holiday_Laser_Projector-585-72.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted