1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Handyman question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doggieseatdoggies, Apr 29, 2009.

1. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

I've got an outdoor patio that came with the house I bought. When it rains hard, it leaks inside through the corrogated ceiling. I've gone up on top and sealed it with caulk. It's still backing up under the steel sheet that catches it coming off the roof. This is basically because the drain is clogged from dirt that has washed down into a front trim that runs the perimeter of the outside of the patio. You can't remove it because it's bolted underneath the corrogated ceiling to the frame of the walls. I can stick a finger down between the roof and this trim on the outside and feel a ton of what is now mulch that's settled in there from leaves and such accumulating over the years. I'm thinking I've got to cut through the sheet metal covering on the trim to reach and in and clean this stuff out. But I'm not sure how to do that and seal it again since it too is corrugated. Or, if there's a better way to do this. One way or the other, I've got to get a clear water flow to the drain to keep the leaking from happening.

Feel free to PM me with suggestions.

2. Hold a Tea Party. That will solve everything.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can you get an auger into the clogged drain?

4. doggieseatdoggies

I'd have to cut through it. It's fastened between the 2 by 4 and the roof.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

That's what I was thinking. Plumbing snake with a garden hose to flush it out as it loosens.

6. doggieseatdoggies

Gotta go. I'll check back. Thanks for the quick response.

7. KG

KG Active Member

It needs to be cleaned out, and you can put up metal flashing where the gaps are to seal them.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK, now I'm confused. Cut through what? The downspout on the guttering?

Regardless, you probably have wood rot if that water is getting to any wood behind the metal roofing and/or flashing.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

And you might be surprised at how far the water goes once it starts backing up. We were having a room added to the house and after they walled it but had not yet sealed it, they hung plastic over the doorway. We had a big rain storm and saw water running down the plastic. Turned out the actual leak came from the other side of the house.

Water can find a way.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can you get to it from the bottom? Can you enter this drain from the lowest point and work up?

11. doggieseatdoggies

OK...I wish we had a drawing tool on here.... I guess I could use photoshop if necessary....

But first, this.

There are three 2X4s that run across the outer perimeter of the outer walls, which all are screened in. There is an L bracket that attaches to the rear of the facing, which is enclosed at the top and in front, open only where it attaches to the metal L plate that comes between it and the 2 X 4. The only "opening to this is at the top where the corrugated roof comes up to its edge, but to reach down with your fingers, you've got to be careful lest you slide your fingers in the edges, which are all made of sheet metal. My thinking is that I've got to cut a hole in the facing that goes around the perimter, reach in, pull out as much debris as I can and then maybe stick a pressure hose in it and force the rest out...then let it drain before somehow replaceing the cutout piece to the facing. Maybe that will help clarify what I didn't do earlier.

12. doggieseatdoggies

I could take a picture of it. Which I'll do tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Draft saved Draft deleted