1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hands On The Bible, Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 14, 2009.

1. The new YANKEE STADIUM! is getting a little attention

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Are we going to get a little link?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Here's what I found.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i7vMwqgv74Dnp2OaXkb6AaJfRSaAD95MEET01

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"I guess it makes for good political theater because it's the Yankees, but when it comes to valuable taxpayer dollars, decisions should be made on return not rhetoric," said Bloomberg spokesman Andrew Brent. "The deal leverages a federal program and will result in New York City getting back more tax revenue than it will cost and the South Bronx getting thousands of new jobs and more than $1 billion in private investment."

In Bloomberg I Trust

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yes, by all means, let New York City give more handouts to those that do not need to be subsidized.

6. FAIL!

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

$259 M
    +$111 M
    +$940 M
    + 25 M
    ---------
    $1,335 B

So, basically, all they want is the stadium built for free.

And this, of course, is the New York Yankees, a threadbare and struggling organization if there ever was one.

:eek:

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Issuing tax free bonds is not a gift, the money gets repaid, over time. Those that hold the bonds are paid with interest that is not a taxable event.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here I was thinking the thread would be about subpoenas handed out vis-a-vis the Clemens case. Silly me.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's public largesse to a multi-billion dollar company, the most profitbable franchise in North American professional sports.

11. Here's a good primer on the actual financing and situation

http://nyyu.blogspot.com/2009/01/stadium-financing-simplified.html

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted