1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Handling the events of May 2

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 4, 2015.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

We've seen how The Washington Post did it,
    but how did your organization, or your hometown's newspaper cover and handle the many events of Saturday (May 2)?

What events were staffed? Did you staff something you ordinarily wouldn't (like the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight) or were there events you didn't staff that you might have staffed in the past, maybe the distant past.

Did you get a break on deadlines because of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight?

The national edition of The New York Times I receive at home had the Kentucky Derby on the front page of its sports section and a feature on Jim Lampley.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Front page had a main story was about the local MLB team, sidebar about derby, and a story about the local NFL's team draft picks from Saturday. Wire story inside about NHL and NBA playoff games inside. Had a wire story about the fight inside in today's paper.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I assume this is a thread for the big boy papers?
    Our front page had stories about the local juco baseball team winning a state playoff series, two of our high school track teams winning the meet before state, and two features on girls high school golf in advance of the state tournament. Inside was some college baseball.
    The Derby, the fight and Clippers-Spurs were all part of a briefs package on the front page.
    Our deadline is midnight (CST) on the weekend, so we didn't get abused too bad by the fight starting late. Kind of nice, actually. We were able to wait just a few extra minutes and at least get it in the paper, whereas the major metro that prints 90 minutes earlier probably did not.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Our A-1 had so much sports on it -- Clippers tease across the top, upper left fight tease, Kentucky Derby centerpiece, and a feature on a local soccer tournament -- that when I saw a article on a sex-offenders raid, I was wondering how we screwed up and put it in the Sports cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted