1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hamster question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SixToe, Jun 26, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

We have a hamster that at the moment is in his little spinny wheel atop the cage doing revolutions inside the wheel.

He's not making the wheel turn, per se, but is just spinning around. A few moments ago he jumped across his cage like something had shocked him and then sat there with an evil hamster look on his face.

When he does get into the groove on the wheel, he does it for hours.

Anyone have hamsters that act like they're on crack? This is weird.

2. Don't have one any more, but the best thing to do is get it a hamster ball that it can use to roam the house with.

We had a hamster who would just cruise for two hours at a time. It's hilarious. When we'd offer to put it back in its cage it would look down, look at me and then go back into the ball.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Hamsters are strange like that. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've had several hamsters and all had strange habits of chewing into things that should have killed them, like the cord of my alarm clock, but managed to survive. More similar to your situation, my hamster had stints where he'd run around the cage for long periods of time and then just stop and do something else.

How long you had the little guy?

EDIT: Those balls that you can place them inside so they can roam free is not a bad idea. I'd be watching TV and I'd let the little guy roam around. This conversation kinda makes me want another hamster. :(

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Has Jones been anywhere near your house?

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Usually I can't see them when The Grandpa puts them up my tush.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As long as he isn't hurting himself, I wouldn't worry about it. Hamsters are very curious. They are going to try weird things.

It's like they know they don't have long in this world and they want to try as much as they can despite their limited options.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Best explanation I've heard. They do have a knack for just being odd, curious creatures.

EDIT: I'd love to see what a 'evil hamster look' looks like.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not worried. Just curious.

I had gerbils when I was kid. They're nothing but domesticated rats. This thing looks like a high-class rat with fluffy fur.

The evil look was weird. It was sitting there on its back legs, breathing hard, looking over it's shoulder with its mouth open.

It bit my son one day a couple of months ago. I almost fed it to the cat, which really enjoys sitting on the window sill watching it in the cage.

I'm thinking of slipping a sliver of Valium in the cantaloupe treat. We do need a bigger cage, though. This cheap plastic piece of shit isn't very good.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hamsters really are very different from gerbils. I never understood why anybody thought a gerbil made a good pet. They aren't even friendly. I had one when I was a kid. Mean little bastard. No fun at all.

Hamsters are at least social animals that like attention.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Gerbils suck. For those of you who've had them as pets: Have you ever held their tale when they were on the opposite side of the cage?

When I was maybe 10 or 11, I was told to hold the little guy's tale to keep him in the box, while my sister cleaned his cage. He broke free, and I never let go. All the fur on the top half of his tale was in my hand. It was pretty disgusting. No one was happy there.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting tail you tell there.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

*groan*

Draft saved Draft deleted