1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hammon to play for Russia in Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JB20, Apr 9, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'd love to know what kind of political situation resulted in her not even being invited to U.S. camps (if she had previously played for the USA in an FIBA tourney, this whole citizenship question would be moot).

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

But wasn't Hull's mom an American citizen? Hammon has no ties to Russia beyond part-time employment there.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Becky Hammon grew up in South Dakota. That's close enough to Russia to make it work for me. Good luck, Comrade!

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Her hometown paper:
    http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/04/09/news/top/doc47fd610b3aff7453239530.txt

Her college paper:
    http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008804090334

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Table tennis, dick.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Her hometown paper should have a column about it.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I've read the stories, and, I don't know, it just sounds kind of selfish. Her dream isn't to play for her country, her dream is to play in the Olympics. OK. But, sorry, lots of people don't qualify for that dream. Finding a back way just seems to kind of cheapen it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sure it does cheapen it. Doesn't mean that she shouldn't experience it that way, though.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This reminds me somewhat of Olaf Kolzig playing goal for Germany in hockey competitions because of his heritage. Even though he was born in South Africa and I think he grew up in Canada. And he's been a Washington Capital for about 10,000 years.

Though in Kolzig's case, he's perhaps one of the only, if not THE only good player on Germany. I doubt Becky Hammon is the only good Russian women's basketball player. Hell, she ain't even Russian.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Nation shopping does cheapen the Olympics to some degree, but with the inclusion of no-hiding professionals in many sports, the Olympics itself is much less compelling than it used to be. Even men's basketball, with Ginobili against Kobe, pales in comparison to a Spurs-Lakers series.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Problem is, by all objective criteria I've seen she does qualify. She was just "overlooked" and got knee deep in red tape.

That blurs things a bit.

If Bob Knight is coach of Team USA, and he gets into a personal rift with Kobe Bryant and refuses to put him on the team . . . and Kobe is allowed to play for, say. Italy, what does he do? Sit home because "Gee, I guess I did not qualify for that dream?"

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Difference in that is that Bryant's probably already played for USA Basketball at some point so he wouldn't be able to switch countries.

Draft saved Draft deleted