1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hammerin Hank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's where I'm at too. Why today? Turn a great event into a political statement.
    To compare The Republican Party to the KKK is just way over the top. Besides I bet
    it was mostly southern democrats that made up the kkk in it's day.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Who are now predominantly Republicans.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the KKK lost a lot of it's membership to The Tea Party

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well this guy says the people who really sent Aaron the threatening letters were KGB agents who were trying to stir up racial tensions in the U.S.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/what-hank-aaron-needs-to-know/

Is that really as stupid as it sounds to me?
    And is Jack Cashill really a legitimate journalist?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes. It sounds pretty stupid.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The RWSM of course going predictably berserk.

Bill Russell, not to be outdone, likens NCAA athlete exploitation to slavery, and QUITE suprisingly, likens the current struggle of gay athletes for acceptance to the battles of black athletes in the 1940s-60s.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140409-bill-russell-gay-athletes-today-face-similar-struggle-to-black-players-of-past.ece

Jim Brown, you're on the clock. Make this one good.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bonds was a fraud. Not alone, of course, but it hardly excuses breaking the rules and messing up the entire numbers argument.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Lock this thread any time you want for the slander against people - of all races - whose main desire is for all of us to keep a few more of our dollars in our own pockets.

That said, I was saddened to see in the AP photos that ol' Hank needs a walker to get around.
    Some day, he'll be running those bases again like a younger man.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It strikes me that this is not exactly the sticking point. But hey, it's politics.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

There's nothing he said that's wrong, and it all ties into the achievement, so why not say it when all eyes are on him for the anniversary of that achievement?

To expect him to sugarcoat memories which were not particularly happy is to not know very much about who and what Hank Aaron is.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

As a register Republican who spent half of my childhood in the South, I find it abhorrent to be compared to the KKK when I oppose President Obama, no matter who makes the comparison.
    I'll always respect Aaron for what he did and how he did it, especially in that time period of American history, but he's less of a man now in my eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.