1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hammerin Hank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Saddened that Aaron would use the forum of his 40th anniversary
    to get political.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/04/09/hank-aaron-compares-republicans-that-oppose-obama-to-kkk/

I'm going back to recognizing Barry Bonds as the HR king.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Bud isn't.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/04/08/selig-hints-aaron-still-baseballs-home-run-king/7483779/

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I still regard Aaron as the greatest power hitter of all time, given the whole steroid era.

4. jr/shotglass

Debatable. Did he have to face true closers an at-bat per game?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hitting home runs under an avalanche of death threats > hitting home runs off specialized "closers" whom Bob Gibson would have never let on the mound in the first place.

6. jr/shotglass

Well, there's that, too.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He also hit 755 home runs off the same exact pitchers that nobody else hit 755 home runs off of in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good for Hank.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He also would be banned for life under these PED rules.

10. jr/shotglass

I'm not going to go too far into a defense of Bonds, because a lot of his story is indefensible.

But what I've always said about PEDs -- you still have to have the eye-hand coordination to make solid contact. Bonds had a .311/.456/.624 before anyone said anything about his hat size.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I am actually of the belief that if these guys want to do irreparable damage to their bodies and shorten their lives to get better at a game and make more money, then that's on them. And if they are caught they need to pay for it, since it is against the rules and federal law. Bonds' hand-eye coordination and skill hitting a baseball are not in question. Same with A-Rod. What the PEDs do is give them that little bit more strength and recovery to be able to hit just a few more homers every year. I don't care a bit about the argument of who is the true HR king. Bonds was a great player and the record is his. But Aaron was a great player as well, and I respect him a hell of a lot more.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

As for the political statement, you have to remember how Aaron was treated by a lot of fans and where he is coming from. Race is a part of his story. I do wish he had chosen a different time to make the statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.