1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hammer dropping as we speak at the Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, May 18, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't give them any ideas.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I got my renewal notice yesterday, and I'm simply not sure I want to pay $57.43 for three months simply for the things I can't get to read conveniently -- comics and the crossword.

The S-S section content today, at least a third of every section is horrible now. Reguritated crap, and with no concern about duplicated content.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Sunday sports section of the S-S used to be the biggest in the country.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

More news and a bunch of names in new post on same blog:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/05/sunsentinel_layoffs_classified_outsourcing.php#comments

Looks like Christensen is only sports name listed so far ...

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, it sure did. Picked it up every Sunday and was amazed at their space as I was fighting for more down south.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The best employee in the sports department was laid off at the end of his shift tonight.

Inconceivable.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Man, do I hope some copy editor proofing that page found that and got it fixed.

Did sh...I mean he or she? :D

8. Tom Christensen IS the sun-sentinel. He was there before Fred Turner, Craig Stanke, Sharon Robb, Omar Kelly, Scott Powers, Mitch Albom, Steve Hummer, Dave Joseph, Bill Plaschke, Gordon Edes, Mike Mayo, Jeff Otterbein, Ira Winderman, Kathy Laughlin, Brian White, Mike Berardino, Robbie Andreu, Don McMullen, Randall Mell, Barry Talley, Robes Patton, Jim Kuykendall, Paul Moran, Craig Davis, Mark Kazlowski, Ed Giullioti, Ray Cox, Tim Rosaforte, Gene Wojo -- and the prick they just put in charge. ... The list is endless. And every ONE of them loves TomC and would run through a wall for him. He taught them all something. He taught most many things. He lived for that department. Never, has a better man ever been in our business. I am sick about this. You couldn't hire a better, more loyal person. To fire such a solid employee is wrong and it is cruel. And horrible. Simply no reason for it because he can do anything. And he'd do anything for anybody.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And.... he found out he had been laid off in a blog.

BTW... Omar Kelly with fourth billing?

Every excellent special section the S-S did, Tom was a driving force behind.

That Tom and Don are gone today.... it's simply surreal.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What about Omar Kelly?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think Simon was pointing out that in a list of those who helped make the S-S what it was in the 80s and 90s, putting Omar fourth --- and even putting him on the list at all --- made no sense.

Omar represents what the paper is, not what it was.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh.
    Went right over my head, but it is early.
    He is not among the cuts?

Draft saved Draft deleted