1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hamas Official Assassinated in Dubai

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, my answer would be the following:

You're too fucking stupid to be allowed to post here if you can't differentiate between the intentional targeting of innocent civilians that the animals in the Taliban and other terrorist operations engage in and the unintentional deaths of civilians who are in a combat zone.

And civilians are usually put in those combat zones because the cowards who populate organizations like the Taliban intentionally hide in heavily-populated civilian areas.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ugh. Because trials will solve everything. Sometimes you've got to respond to a killer by killing him.

Recent press reports (I think the Washington Post, I'll find the link if you need it) says that we identified a high value target recently & could have grabbed him but decided to drop a bomb on his lap instead.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Everyone on this thread is OK with Israeli assassination squads?

I can't speak for others, but I'm not. Your original assertion (and I missed it) is wrong.

4. YankeeFan

Personally, yes. I am.

In part for the very reason that Hamas & groups like them do use human shields and operate from crowded residential areas.

If you'd complain about innocents being killed in a military strike, then you have to applaud a precise attack like this that kills only the intended target.

Hamas knows the rules. You want to live by the sword, sometimes you die by the sword.

5. The Big Ragu

Governments that employ assassination squads need to conduct those operations covertly and in a way that ensures deniability. That means there is no accountability. And as history as shown, when there is no accountability, organizations like those become too powerful, too autocratic and start "expanding" their target lists to perceived political enemies. Anyone with a brain should be afraid of government-sponsored covert assassination squads that act with impunity, because more bad than good has come from those types of activities. Power corrupts and that is way too much power for anyone, including the Israelis, whose political class is actually known for its corruption.

6. The Big Ragu

Interesting related story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8522255.stm

Shahar Peer, the Israeli tennis player who was denied a visa to Dubai last year to play in a tournament, just reached the seminfinals of the same tournament--they let her in this year (last year they were fined $300,000). She played all of her matches till now on outer courts with limited access, but now has to play in front of 5,000 people in her next match against Venus Williams and in the wake of the assassination there really are legitimate concerns about her safety.

7. YankeeFan

I had no idea this tournament was going on.

I hope she wins. That would be great.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They kind of did that when they flew an airplane into the Pentagon, the headquarters of the Joint Chiefs. Sorry if don't really distinguish betweem the Taliban and AlQueda, I don't see much distinction between Hannity and Beck either.

9. YankeeFan

More moral equivalency. You're pathetic.

10. YankeeFan

That's fine.

But getting this guy out of Dubai might not have been logistically possible. Killing him, apparently, was.

I'm fine with that too.

Hyman Roth didn't complain when Moe Green took a bullet in the eye. He didn't ask who gave permission.

I'm not sure why anyone should be concerned that this guy got taken out. He was in the game. He lost. He knew the risks.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

War is hell?

12. YankeeFan

There's some new info in this article including that they tried to make it look like a heart attack and that when he was found, the door was chain locked, suggesting one member of the hit team exited the room through the window.

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/international/how_mystery_assassination_squad_VzyWJayzP378YIZQk5JAmL

Draft saved Draft deleted