1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haloween memories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I remember when my brothers and I were little shavers, it was either on or near Halloween that the Disney cartoon "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" would be shown on TV. We would watch it, and it would scare the piss out of me.
    One day after it was shown, we all hopped into the '61 Chevy Nomad station wagon and dad took us for a ride in the country (a common occurence, regardless of the time of year). There is this one stretch of road, about four miles, that is bordered by trees on both sides and the branches form a canopy over the road.
    It sooooo reminded me of the Disney cartoon that I hid my eyes with my hands so the headless horseman couldn't see me. ;D

Of course, years later we graduated to throwing eggs and tomatoes and shit, but I'll never forget the Sleepy Hollow road. I still take a drive out there several times during the fall when the leaves are turning.

Any memories out there?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When I was a kid the Legend of Sleepy Hollow scared the shit out of me. Still my favorite old-time "horror" story.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I went as a lounge singer one time for Halloween wearing a bright jacket my dad used to have. My sister and I went up to this lady's doorstep. We stood there, and said the ole "Trick or Treat" line. She looked at my costume and either said, "That's authentic" or "That's pathetic". To this day, I am not sure of what she said.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When I was a little kid an old lady gave me an apple and I was apparently pissed. I told her I didn't want an apple and threw it in her yard.
    My dad made me go back and apologize.

Another time when I was in 5th or 6th grade, a bunch of junior highers took all of my candy and threw eggs at me. It was rather traumatic.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I was Saddam Hussein once for Halloween. It seems really odd now that my parents would allow me to be that and that they made Saddam masks. I think i might have even won a prize at my school's costume contest. I had the plastic mask of his face, wore by Boy Scout uniform to look like i was in the military, went to an army surplus store and bought a grenade and had a fake cigar. I was in third or fourth grade and it was 93 or 94.

A more recent memory is going to a party as Rocky and running into a guy dressed as Mr. T. We had a nice fake fight.

Besides those, the ones as a kid kind of all blend together. I usually trick or treated with the same 3-5 kids growing up in our neighborhood and it was always a good time.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

When I was in about second grade, someone at school told me a joke ... an inappropriate joke. Come to think of it, joke isn't even the word. Basically, it was a way to rhyme "dick." Anyway, I went home, told my parents expecting them to bust up laughing.

They didn't and told me to never tell it again. So I told my bus driver the next day, who of course called my parents just as I was trying on this awesome batman costume my mom had spent about a month making. Batman got spanked. Big time.

That sucked. Spanking works, btw. I never told the damn "joke" again.

7. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Until today! Let's hear it!

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Seriously, Batman. Let it out.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to be the douche bag, or at least one of them, who'd take all the candy from the "Take one please" houses. Well, when I got to this house, all the candy was gone, so I did what any rational 12-year-old kid whould do: I took the Tupperware container. Oh, the fun I was having ... until the police stopped us, that is.

You see, my friends and I had been in a shaving cream fight at another house a few minutes prior, and my back was caked. When someone came out of that house, I rubbed my back on his van while he lectured us.

So we walk along, and this officer stops us. He asked me if I was behaving, and I said, "Of course, sir." He said, "Mind if I take a look in your bag?" I handed him my MLB pillow case, and he pulls out a rectangular Tupperware container sans top. "Where'd you get this?" he asked. "Oh, that?" I said. "I got it from home." "Oh, really, from home? Why don't you guys head home now."

And we did.

Draft saved Draft deleted