1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween/Trick or treat on Sunday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I realize I live in a pretty peculiar state. With Halloween falling on a Sunday this year, the majority of the trick or treating will happen on Saturday night, the 30th, and not the 31st.

There usual complainers about such things are already complaining. I want to say it's not that unusual and happens in other regions, too.

So, help me out. Are there any other areas where the cultural norms have the kids roaming the neighborhoods in search of free candy on the 30th instead of the 31st when Halloween falls on a Sunday?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It happened at my grandparents' house in Ohio.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'll be handing out rocks a day early.

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I have no idea whether it will be on the 30th or 31st in my town, but I would hope it's on Saturday night. Going out trick-or-treating on a school night, when there's no real reason not to move it up a day, seems silly.

I don't even know where I'd find out if it's going to be Saturday or Sunday. Since it's obviously not something that is regulated by anyone, I'm assuming there will be trick-or-treaters out on each night.

But I agree with you. If people are getting worked up over going out on Saturday instead of Sunday, they need to chill out a little bit.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Lots of places in the South will be heavy on Saturday trick or treating. And I'm sure some kids will do what we used to, and hit different neighborhoods both nights.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Used to compile a Trick-or-Treat list for our paper every year. If you're out of sorts about the kids going out a day early, you'd go insane here in northern Kentucky. Some communities do it a week before Halloween.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It actually is regulated to an extent. Most cities designate an official trick or treat hours.

And I'm sure you can find out on your city's official web site (or by calling the city).

Obviously, people themselves can also regulate it some, turning a porch light off.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Growing up, we always trick or treated on the 31st. Not the 30th. Not on Saturday. The 31st.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Personally, I think they should do it on Oct. 31, regardless of what day of the week it is.
    However, 1. I don't have kids.
    B. We live 20 minutes outside of two in a very rural area. We don't get kids on Halloween.

10. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Whenever Halloween falls on Sunday in southern Idaho, the e-mails, calls and letters to the paper are epic. You're going to burn in hell if you go out on the Sabbath. (Of course, most believe you'll burn in hell anyway just by celebrating.)

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I've lived in California all my life, and I never heard of doing that when Halloween falls on a Sunday. I assume here people are going to T-and-T on the 31st, although a lot less people do it these days. My two young nieces will probably just go up and down the street, in contrast to my childhood, when me and my friends would go all over the place.

A note about the Halloween on a school night thing. We would still go trick-or-treating although we would have to worry about getting home at a decent time for the first three years or so of my schooling. Our school would always have one "inservice" day each semester, with students getting the day off and teachers coming to work for "staff enrichment" or something like that. Anyway, some very smart people running our school district decided one year that they should just put the "inservice" day Nov. 1, so the kids could do their thing without worrying about getting up in the morning. They continued that for the rest of my time there.

12. Journo13

Journo13 Member

Foxboro, MA is holding their Halloween activities on the Saturday. With the Patriots at home on Sunday, they probably didn't want angry Pats fans to run over small children with Randy Moss jerseys.

Draft saved Draft deleted