1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween... the remake?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Fog remake had one great, lovely asset: Maggie Grace.

The rest of it was garbage.

Sxy: Seeing the original would be well worth it. To this day, that and The Exorcist, are the two best horror movies these eyes have seen.

2. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I'm also wondering why this isn't released closer to October.

Of course, there's no sense in having it open Oct. 31. After that night, it's time for the jolly-type holidays. But I can see having it out for the month of October.

I plan on seeing it. I love John Carpenter and most decently-made horror movies. Other than Christmas, Halloween the holiday is the best for movie backdrops.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Whether it is great or not, studios realize that most people are going to be very skeptical about a remake.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Do the Leprechaun movies count for St. Paddy's Day?

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, now I think I want to see it. I just checked it out on imdb.com, and guess who plays Dr. Loomis? Ol' Alexander DeLarge from A Clockwork Orange, or in real life, known as Malcolm McDowell.

Other actors of note in this movie: Brad Dourif (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Mississippi Burning, Chucky) as Sherriff Bracket; Dee Wallace (E.T.'s foster mother, Cujo).

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

We watched all of these movies when I was a kid, and the original is by far the scaries movie I've ever seen. Halloween is the only movie to give me nightmares.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think it's a prequel.

And I also have to wonder why it's coming out on Aug. 31 as opposed to Oct. 31 or thereabouts. Have to wonder if they're trying to bury it.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not a prequel, though they are apparently going to show more of Michael Myers' time in the institution. It is a retelling/remake of the story. The original started with Michael murdering his older sister as a young boy.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

OK, since I consider myself to be a Halloween expert and huge John Carpenter fan, allow me to set some things straight :D

First, Zombie is doing what he calls a "re-imagining." He is filling in the blanks where there were huge gaps in the original. He's giving us a reason for the madness behind the mask.

First chapter of it starts off with Myers as a kid and what happens to him to make him a monster

Second chapter is of Dr. Loomis (McDowell) trying to help Michael and realizing it's now impossible (you haven't said a word in 15 years!)

Final chapter is the escape and stalking of Laurie.

I will say this, the movie will be bloodier than the original, but from what I've heard of the soundtrack, it seems that Mr. Zombie has kept a lot of the original sounds, only spiced them up a bit. For example, if you listen to the track from Amazon.com on the original Halloween soundtrack titled (The Shape Stalks Laurie) it is almost identical to what Zombie used for that particular scene in this one.

I for one can't wait to see this it's got me pumped!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So now that Rob Zombie is doing the Halloween remake, can we get him to do a Night of the Living Dead remake?
    Not so much because we need a Night of the Living Dead remake, but just because I want to revel in the irony of a guy named Zombie making a movie about zombies :D

11. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

No, however, Darby O'Gill and the Little People check.

Draft saved Draft deleted