1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween, kids and co-workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Oct 31, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I LOVE these threads. Great fun.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Like some have said, it's a give-and-take.
    Guys this summer covered for me so I could do family stuff. I covered for some guys so they could play in a golf tournament.
    Do I feel like people with kids are entitled to these days? Yes, as long as they realize that that because Jim came in to cover two hours so you could go trick-or-treating, you're going to have to cover the back end of his shift so he can head to the concert early on a random night.
    Reading this though, I see both sides of the argument because pre-marriage/kids, I would be shouting BS too - until I realized if I covered one shift, I could usually get that person to up the ante as payback.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This summer my boss gave me a co-worker the option to take a cut while the other would sit for two hours and likely not work (sometimes loops cancel, but we need coverage just in case someone adds a caddy late). I told the kid he could go home if he wanted because I had kids. Work can be a great escape.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What are the rules for leave at her work Rhody? Is it first come first serve? Seniority? Amount of offspring?

Just stick to the rules and there will be no anarchy. Just keep it black and white, there is no need for grey areas.

I do enjoy somebody thinking they are "entitled" to certain holidays off because they have kids. It would be nice if someone would switch but I would love to see the workplace that makes this part of their leave agreement.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I take off my birthday, too. I'm 46. I know you're an anti-birthdayer, Dick, so I'll avoid asking you to cover for me when I do.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That is just so bizarre to me.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At my last newspaper stop, they gave us a paid day off for birthdays. I still can't comprehend it. But I damn sure took advantage of it.

I'm too old to give a shit anymore.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the day after your birthday be better?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Milennials love their own birthdays. It's unbelievable. I've been invited to no less than five birthday parties this year that they throw for themselves.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's usually when the women take the naked selfies, so definitely go to those parties.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I didn't name names, but miserable doesn't necessarily mean oblivious, right?

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Do they love birthdays? Or do they love excuses to have a party?

Draft saved Draft deleted