1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween, kids and co-workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Oct 31, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

People go overboard with the "firsts"

First Christmas, first birthday, first Easter.

She's going to get to see the kids in costumes. She just misses trick or treating. It's not the end of the world.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's my experience that firsts are overrated. The kids don't understand or care. I'm excited to have tonight off to take the 3-year-old out. That should be memorable. I doubt the 2-month-old will get much out of it.

3. RecoveringJournalist

For my oldest, we took him to about five houses his first year. My kids are 7 and 8 and they might hit 20 houses total since the weather usually kicks in this week.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If every parent is taking his/her kids out for Halloween, who the fuck is left to answer the door when these kids come around ringing the bell? ???

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I made every one of my son's "firsts." Honestly, with a little prudent planning, it wasn't that hard, either.

However, I'm under no delusions - it was all for me, and he'll likely remember none of it and one day be thoroughly unimpressed or embarrassed by the pictures.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Co-workers who don't have kids are obligated to come over and do that.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I made them all for both kids. Thanks to a dickhead boss, I almost missed my oldest's first birthday and that would have killed me.

It all worked out though.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Before this thread inevitably veers into the ditch, can we all agree that the "My time is more important than yours" attitude doesn't discriminate? You work in any business long enough, you'll find people with kids, without kids, married, single and all combinations of those whose sense of entitlement is off the charts.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agreed.

However, the most socially acceptable (and in the case of this thread most relevant) pulling of rank always involves kids.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Having kids doesn't make you a better person, but it helps. :D

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Sure, agreed.

The moral here is never do anything nice for anyone. Ever.

12. Mr. Sunshine

No, the moral here seems to be know who you're sacrificing for.

Draft saved Draft deleted