1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween costumes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Oct 12, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, so I'm going to a Halloween party in a few weeks and everyone's dressing up. Yeah, it's childish and all that, but it should be fun, so I'm going to do it.

I think I'm going to go as Maximus from "Gladiator," though finding the right armor for the costume on my salary is proving difficult.

Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread as an all-purpose place for costume ideas, tips and shopping advice for anyone else who's having trouble letting go of their youth.

If anyone has any idea where I can find roman gladiator chestplate for cheap, let me know. Otherwise, let's hear your costume ideas.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Very cheap Halloween costume idea that will work if you remember the 70s....

Go as the "unknown comic" - just cut two holes in a paper bag, put it over your head and tell really bad jokes.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So....your kid comes home begging for this gladiator costume for halloween:

[​IMG]

Do you kill yourself? Blame his mother for letting him play with dolls? Send the kid to military school?

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Hope you have the required musculature to fill out said Gladiator costume.

And you can't go wrong with Death. He's my go-to. Of course, the mask cost more than 50 bucks, so I am trying to get my money's worth.

5. EStreetJoe

Wear it in the office. ;D

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was the Duke of Ditties, the Prince of Puns, the Wizzard of Whoopee once.
    My other favorite that I did was one the Gumby characters from Monty Python's Flying Circus: a handkirchief on my head, Hitler mustache, pants above the belly button, walked around with my fists clenched by my sides.
    In college I had two friends who went as a siamese abortion. It was disgusting, but also kind of funny.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nobody around here has had a Halloween party in a few years, but I love Halloween.
    A few good costumes I've done:
    Mr. Kotter
    The Unibomber (the Halloween before he got caught)
    Lisa 'Left-Eye' Lopez
    Babatunde Olatunji

Also, Ché Guevara is a good standby. That was my Halloween costume four years in a row in college.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What, the costume shop ran out of Marx?

9. EStreetJoe

A Halloween costume a co-worker used over a decade ago. He enlarged a photocopy of another co-worker's column logo until it was big enough to wear as a mask and then went to the office Halloween party that year as that co-worker (several years later the person who would host the party stopped hosting and the party stopped as well).

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Do you like gladiator movies, bigpern? :D

A few from a costume party we had a couple years ago:
    - Pregnant nun
    - Johnny Journalist (superhero costume with a utility belt made entirely of newspaper)
    - The Incredible Hulk (mine...I just wore a white T-shirt, ripped it a little, and cut up the bottom of some purple sweat pants. And painted myself green from head to toe. Whole thing cost me about $10 or $15)

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My mother and I don't get along much, but damn could that woman make some great costumes.

I've been Alice in Wonderland, a blue M&M, Cat in the Hat, Miss Scarlett from Clue, and when I was really little, a cheerleader for Local High. All the costumes were store-bought quality.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How about going to the party as an unemployed journalist. It's the wave of the future!

Draft saved Draft deleted