1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween and the flu....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Oct 31, 2009.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Um, I have kind of a dumb question for the parents out there. I'm sure our area isn't the only one, but every school I know is rampant with the flu. Since I work with high schoolers at my retail gig, I know that in some cases up to 100 kids are out each day. Plus my edtior has been hit with this disaster, and is pretty much bed-bound three houses down the street.

Holidays are special to Dr. J and I, and we're looking forward to handing out candy for the first time in the new house. Short of just leaving a candy-filled pumpkin on the porch and sitting out the fun, should we just load up on the anti-bacterial gel and hope to not catch anything?

And, of course, to keep the kiddies healthy?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dress up like a nurse. (A hot, slutty nurse, of course.) Wear a surgical mask. Problem solved!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My kids are wearing masks and gloves as part of their costumes. I figure it's a lot safer than sending them to school or day care where they're exposed to every germ imaginable.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

My friend Sara, a social worker, has gloves and a gown with her for work. She was going to loan them to me but I figured people think I'm a huge dork already.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I wish we could have trick or treated by you. My 16 month old was a little off today, but we put his dragon costume on, loaded him in the stroller to go trick or treating with his sister, figuring he'd drink his milk and fall asleep. Which he did.

He wakes up about 15 minutes later and when I carry him to the first house he proceeds to throw up. For about 75 straight seconds. All over him, me and the front porch of our victim's house.

So if bad parents like me can bring their kids out, you can infect a few snot nosed kids.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nobody's topping that for worst Halloween of '09.

Reminds me of when my Mom took my sister and I shopping right after I got over the flu at 4 or 5 years old. We're standing in line with my sister in the carriage and Mom is about to begin unloading it when my sister--who hasn't said a word about not feeling well--yacks all over her. Over and over again. We went home without groceries that day.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This thread inspired me to do some online research. I think I may have emetophobia.

BYH is right, Webster. That really sucks. I hope your little one is feeling better.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Shockingly, he slept through the night and there was no more puke. I would have thought that we'd be up all night and I even slept on the couch in his room after the end of the WS game.

My wife made me bring over a box of pastries this morning to the poor neighbors and we even got him redressed in the costume for pictures.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Webster, the poor little guy must've had something he needed to get out of his system. I'm sure he felt much better once he got it all out.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My 12-year-old son handed out Halloween candy yesterday. Today he's sick with H1N1. Good luck, neighborhood children!

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Something tells me they`re not going to be having H1N1 parties like they had chicken pox parties when I was a kid.

My niece just caught it . . . in Cuba. This thing doesn`t seem to give a fuck how young you are or where you catch it.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read an article where they are telling people to tell everyone they know if a member of their family gets it. The result is a million people on facebook announcing that someone in their family is sick. It definitely makes you realize just how many people are impacted by it.

We got an assist from the weather this year. My kids were ready to go home after 45 minutes of trick or treating. I had to drag them back after two hours last year, and we got about 1/4 of the trick or treaters that we usually see, in part because of H1N1 and in part because it was pretty cold and windy out.

Draft saved Draft deleted