1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween 2018

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Oct 30, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know how many houses I saw decked out with Halloween stuff only to have no one home. Weird.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Trick-or-treater count here: None.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

More than 100 last year. Probably fewer than 70 this year. Last one at 9 p.m.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife takes the kids and I hand out at home. We're in a big Halloween neighborhood and would never go dark.

This year I bought a couple boxes of full-size candy bars to give to neighbors' kids and other cute little ones. The packs of middle schoolers with hoodies for costumes got the standard little stuff.

Slacker likes this.
  5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The house across the street from me and next door both go dark.

There are five kids in the Halloween age demo between those two houses the parents take out.

I'm going to ask the one next door how many kids they got this year. It was down by a third from last year.

When they tell me they don't know I'll ask why, and continue to gently lead them down the path.

This is the kind of shit you do when you get old.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Halloween night for a childless couple on a dead end street that gets no trick or treaters: awesome night to go grocery shopping.

It felt like we had that Aldi and that Kroger to ourselves. And they announced the candy and baked goods were marked down as we were walking around at 8 p.m.. Score.

Batman likes this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

New, cool trend we saw was mobile candy givers. Basically, folks in the hood, who took their kids out, left their houses dark, but gave out candy to folks on the street.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Now that's that's the way to do it.

Taking from your neighbors without giving back bugs me.

( in case anyone was wondering )

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Back in the day it was perfectly normal for parents walking around with kid to get treats as well - though they were usually of the liquid variety like a beer or a freshened up scotch and soda.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My house was a designated Halloween beer stop for parents back in the day.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Last year our house had like 20 trick or treaters. This year, none. The nearby middle school has a Halloween costume party, so we don't ever get the kids in hoodies, but what happened to the other ones?

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We had maybe 20 kids total, and four of those were my two and the neighbors' two. Had three dudes in hoodies, which is lame, but I gave them candy anyway because I bought a bag of 145 (or 175; not sure) and stared handing out three Reese's, Kit Kats, etc. every time a kid came to the door. I'm surprised there were so few because the weather was pretty nice, cool but not cold. Now I have a shit-ton of candy to get rid of, lest I eat it and make my stomach's doughnut tire into a full-blown all-weather radial.

Draft saved Draft deleted