1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halladay wins NL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=341495

Congrats to Doc Halladay for winning the NL Cy Young, and finally showing most Americans(not calling anyone out here) that you are the best pitcher in the Major Leagues.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A no-brainer.

3. Take one of the best pitchers in the American League, move him to the National League where he can pitch to weaker lineups which include pitchers.

Yep, that's just crazy enough to work.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Take the best pitcher in baseball, put him in either league and he's still the best pitcher in baseball.

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I agree with spnited, doc has proven that he can be dominant in both leagues.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Johan Santana won the Cy Young Award?!

7. Not saying he hasn't proven he can be dominant in either league.

Not saying he's not deserving of the award this year.

Just saying, he's not THE best pitcher in baseball. And some other guys have had compelling arguments for that title the last few years as well.

He won the AL Cy in 2003 and the NL in 2010. In between, some guys named Santana, Colon, Sabathia, Lee and Greinke were pretty good, too.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Beautiful. He will win it next year too. And so will the Phils.

9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Please enlighten us on who you consider the best pitcher in Baseball?

Santana did it for a couple of years, same thing with Colon. Halladay has done it for the last eight years.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did you really just include Bartolo Colon?

11. Just saying but the guy is just 14-15 with a 4.39 ERA against the Red Sox.

12. Roy Halladay is a very good pitcher, one of the best in the majors. I am not contending otherwise. He deserved to win the NL Cy Young this year.

If I needed to win a seventh game of a World Series, and I could pick any pitcher in baseball to start it on full rest, he would be one of a handful of guys I would consider.

What I disagree with is the contention that he is the best pitcher in baseball, and has been for years.

When he was in the AL, he was always one of the better pitchers in the league, but not the best. He was not better than Greinke last year or Lee in 2008. He was not better than the AL Cy Young winners the last seven years.

I follow the NL cursorily enough to play fantasy baseball. I recall that for most of the first half of the season, a lot of people considered Ubaldo Jimenez the best pitcher in the NL. Or Josh Johnson. Or one of the St. Louis guys. There are a couple of guys out in San Francisco who can bring it a bit, I hear.

Halladay was dominant in 2010. He deserved the award this year. Congrats to him. But let's not get carried away.

Draft saved Draft deleted