1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hall of Fame question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Agree on Trammell as a manager. He had to manage the worst team ever and just as the team was ready to turn the corner they bring in Leyland. I have heard his name mentioned for the opening in Boston.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

If you don't like that I used Trammell's hit total, I'll use the fact that he averaged around 130 games a season from 1978-1993 (taking out the strike season in '81). He just wasn't a durable enough player.

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

You shouldn't be the person insulting other members about being a baseball fan. I've only been here for less than a month and you almost made me fall off my chair a few times with some of the stuff you've posted.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I'm not insulting anyone. It just seems to me that even a casual fan would know Omar has been considered the best defensive shortstop since Ozzie (I realize there are arguments for other players, like Jeter).

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ugh. While I think Trammell was inexcusably hung out to dry by management in Detroit by bringing in players known to be primadonnas and then given no backup whatsoever (in fact, active undercutting) when he did try to discipline anyone, and would probably be much tougher second time around, bringing him into the Red Sox romper room would be doing him no favors.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

He might be the right guy to bring back some discipline to the clubhouse (without being a total jackass like a Larry Bowa) but I doubt he'd want to deal with the combo of Boston media and the Lucchino/Henry.

7. Starman

Trammell is not ever going to be a "disciplinarian."

I am sure he will have a firmer hand (it would help of course if management didn't cut his throat behind his back) if he ever gets another managing job, but if you need someone to come in and play Darth Vader/Dirty Harry, he ain't it.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

They don't need a redass just someone who's not going to let stupid shit go on. If the stories about Francona are true, then he checked out a long time ago..

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Trammell isn't going into the Hall for several reasons.

1. Trammell did a lot of things well, but nothing at an all-time best.
    2. Two of his contemporaries were Ozzie Smith (great defensive shortstop of all time) and Cal Ripken ( the streak). In some ways Trammell and Ted Simmons are in the same boat. Great players with HOF caliber careers, but completely overshadowed by their contemporaries.
    3. Trammell had a lot of bad years. For every year he had like 1984 and 1987 where he looked other worldly at short, he had years like 1985 and 1989 where he hit badly and had OPS sub .700.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

McGwire is doing a great job in St. Louis as hitting coach. I think he's surprised a lot of people who thought LaRussa just gave him the job as a favor. Does anyone else think if he keeps it up he could revive his case for the Hall?

11. Starman

"The streak" is an absolutely bullshit "record," which could be broken by any player who stayed healthy enough to walk out on the field long enough to break it, and management/ownership gutless enough to keep putting him in the lineup long enough to do it even though at many times he was detrimental to the team.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Seriously? How did he hurt the team?

Draft saved Draft deleted