1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hall of Fame question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

The Hall of Fame threads made me think of a question:

What franchise has gone the most years without having a future Hall of Famer on the team?

My guess is the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1993-to the present (and for the sake of argument I'm assuming Bonds will make the HOF).

Unless I'm missing someone, the Pirates have not had a likely Hall of Famer on the team for 18+ years. Aramis Ramirez, Jose Bautista, or Jim Leyland - I suppose they have a small chance.

Maybe the Royals but I think Damon ends up getting in if he hangs onto get 3000 hits.

Baseball historians: Is there another team from earlier in the 20th century that can beat the Pirates' current 'streak'?

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I forgot Ricardo Rincon. His acquisition by the A's was the key move that led to them winning a major league record 20 games in a row. Definitely a Hall of Famer hahaha

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Believe it or not, the Tigers have not had a Hall of Famer play for them since Kaline retired in 1974.

(Someone still on the ballot or not yet eligible could change that, of course.)

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/WCytH

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Wow, had no idea. The Tigers were a good team for most of that span, too.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Consecutive seasons with no Hall of Famers on playing roster

Detroit Tigers, 36*, 1975-present

Milwaukee Brewers, 17*, 1994-present (Sabathia '08 breaks streak at 14?)
    Kansas City Royals, 17*, 1994-present

Cincinnati Reds, 14, 1942-1955
    Toronto Blue Jays, 10, 1977-1986
    Philadelphia A's, 8, 1917-1924
    Chicago Cubs, 8, 1945-1952
    California Angels, 8, 1961-1968
    Cleveland Indians, 8, 1964-1971
    Texas Rangers, 7, 1982-1988
    Philadelphia A's, 5, 1950-1954
    Washington Senators, 5, 1949-1953
    Seattle Mariners, 5, 1984-1988 (assuming Griffey gets in)

I don't think these make much sense to include here, especially if Bonds gets in, but I'll list them anyway:

Pittsburgh Pirates, 28*, 1983-present (Bonds debut: 1986)
    Cincinnati Reds, 24*, 1987-present (Larkin debut: 1986)
    Houston Astros, 22*, 1989-present (Biggio debut: 1989)
    Atlanta Braves, 22*, 1989-present (Glavine debut: 1987)
    Philadelphia Phillies, 21*, 1990-present
    San Francisco Giants, 20*, 1991-present (Bonds: 1993)
    Montreal Expos, 18*, 1993-present (Pedro debut: 1994)
    Texas Rangers, 17*, 1994-present (Pudge debut: 1991)

If you've had a current HOFer since the '94 strike — and Rickey by himself gives half the teams in the league one :D — I didn't include you.

Obviously, YMMV as we elect new players in coming years. It's really hard to answer this question accurately until long after the fact.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You're right that we can't say with certainty until some time has passed.

Tigers: Jack Morris' candidacy is slowly gaining momentum, but he is 10% lower in vote totals than Blyeelven was at the same point (12 years on the ballot). Ivan Rodriguez is a lock to make the hall, so their streak should end at 2004. I thought Trammell would do a lot better but he's a longshot. If we include managers, Sparky Anderson takes them off this list.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

That stat with Detroit is crazy, since they have been pretty good for large portions of that streak. Of course, within the past 8 years alone they have (have had) Verlander, Miguel Cabrera, Ivan Rodriguez and Sheffield among others.

If you don't count some of those guys, I'm guessing you have some pretty long streaks in there.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Morris has three years left, he hasn't broken 54% and he's about to get gridlocked with a ton of qualified first-timers. And he doesn't have Rich Lederer opening people's minds for him. He won't get in, nor should he.

Trammell should be in. A traveshamockery.

And no, we're not including managers. That's why I said "on playing roster".

9. joe

joe Active Member

My baseball IQ goes up a pussy hair every time Buckweaver posts something. Shitfire, he knows more about baseball than I know about myself.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Hey you won't hear me argue for Morris. The guy has a 3.90 era. I was just saying he could get in.

I just looked at Trammel's numbers. He only got to about 2300 hits. If you let him in you have to let a lot of other guys in too - Concepcion, Vizquel, Garciaparra, etc

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If Prince Fielder maintains current production, the Brewers' number will get dialed back to 11 (2005). Ryan Braun debuted in 2007 and he's certainly on pace (long way to go obviously). And if Sabathia doesn't get there, Trevor Hoffmann will make it 16 years max.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do you? Is career hit total the only measuring stick? Does anyone consider Omar Vizquel a gen-you-wine Hall of Famer? Because he's 103 and has had a very long career?

I always thought various Halls recognized true greatness, not pretty darn goodness. Silly me.

Draft saved Draft deleted