1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hall of Fame Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jul 5, 2012.

?

What player is most deserving of being elected?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2012.
  1. Don Mattingly

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Mark McGwire

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Roger Maris

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Lou Whitaker

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Alan Trammell

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Dave Kingman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Tim Raines

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  8. Albert Belle

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. David Cone

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. Orel Hershiser

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I'm limiting this to players that have been on the ballot several years or have fallen off the ballot completely, so if you're wondering why Bagwell was left off, that's why.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I voted for David Cone.

(I originally had Cecil Fielder on the ballot but I removed him and put Albert Belle on).

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

It looks like Tim Raines is the popular pick. I would vote all of them in.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tough call between Raines and Belle.

I would also put Dick Allen on the list.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Good god, Tim Raines is the only player on that list that even deserves a discussion about the Hall of Fame.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You really think? I think that Belle, Trammell, Cone, Maris, Whitaker, and maybe even Hershiser at least deserve conversation. McGwire, too, because of the PED's discussion.

It's actually a pretty good list.

As far as Dick Allen goes:

Better oWAR than Duke Snider, Roberto Alomar, Harmon Killebrew, Roberto Clemente, Luke Appling, Barry Larkin, Tony Gwynn, Mike Piazza, Johnny Bench, Ron Santo, Carlton Fisk, Mark McGwire, Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg, Eddie Murray, Yogi Berra, Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, and Kirby Puckett.

156 OPS+ same as Willie Mays and Frank Thomas.

Better than Hank Aaron, Joe DiMaggio, Manny Ramirez, Frank Robinson, Honus Wagner, Miguel Cabrera, Jeff Bagwell, Ralph Kiner, Mike Schmidt, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Alex Rodriguez, Hack Wilson, Harmon Killebrew, Eddie Matthews, Mike Piazza, Eddie Collins, Chipper Jones, Reggie Jackson, and Duke Snider.

It is a crime that Dick Allen is not a Hall of Famer. A crime.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Absolutely a crime.

More deserving than anyone on that list, although I agree it's a pretty good list.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I don't know about Dick Allen...he didn't play long enough or have the peak years to be a Hall of Famer.

I think if you let him in, then a bunch of other undeserving players will get in: Mo Vaughn, Carlos Lee, Ryan Klesko, etc.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I get that he played in a different era but 351 HRs is not a lot for a guy that was valuable only as a slugger. At least with Albert Belle you can project him hitting over 500 HRs if he hadn't been forced to retire because of his hip problem.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

15 seasons.

.317/.396/.632, 40 HR, 110 RBI ... .308/.420/.603, 37 HR, 113 RBI. Seven seasons of .300 or better.

Black Ink 27, exactly the Hall average; Gray Ink 159, 15 over the Hall average.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Who are the unluckiest players in MLB history?

Mattingly - Yankees went to the World Series the year before he debuted, not at all during his career, then won it the first year he retired.

Mussina - Played 8 years with Torre and the Core Four and couldn't win a ring. They win it all again the first year he retires.

Any other candidates?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shottie: But numerous seasons of walking out or checking out on his team. He finally grew up during his brief White Sox period, but that was near the end of his career. He has some good stats, but the Hall is not strictly, and not even overwhelmingly, about stats.

Draft saved Draft deleted