1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hall of Fame: Cowboys of 70s still screwed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Mar 31, 2009.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

No need for the horse, Michael.

I can't tell you how often I watched Oakland in the 1970s and 80s and saw the other team psyched up because their defense pinned them deep and thinking they would get great field position, only to say "Well, fuck that" after Guy uncorked a 53-yarder for no return.

Guy should absolutely be in the Hall.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I still don't see how any team should have a certain number of Hall of Famers. It's an individual award. Sure, winning Super Bowls should count on the resume of the individual players, but you shouldn't be putting in guys who don't quite deserve it just to reach some number.

Craig's problem was that he really didn't have elite running back numbers. He only went over 1,000 yards rushing in a season three times, and two of those were just barely over the mark (1,050 in 1985 and 1,054 in '89). His value was in his ability as a receiver and runner combined, with 566 career receptions, but he wasn't a traditional elite back. I think he belongs, but I understand why he isn't in.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I've written that column so many times, I've given up. There's a bloc (yeah, that means you, Paul Zimmerman) bound and determined to keep him out.

Until Ray Guy's in, none of the placekickers who put up big numbers, largely through longevity (yeah, that means you, Morty Andersen) should be in there.

None of 'em. Morty, Lowery, Gary Anderson, even Viniateri. If you've got to be hit or hit somebody to get into Canton, so be it.

4. outofplace

Morten Anderson did not build a resume by longevity alone. I'm surprised anybody arguing for Guy would say that. The guy was the best in the business in his prime, accurate and with the big leg to hit long field goals and put kickoffs deep. I say all this even though I've heard a few stories from reliable sources that make me think he is kind of a jerk.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Law actually made a play on that INT, and he scored. And, he was a great player. Brown was a nobody.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Let's see...how many Cowboys are in from the 70s teams?

Roger Staubach, Ray Wright, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Bob Lilly, Bob Hayes, Mel Renfro. That's seven.

Then there are Hall of Famers such as Lance Alworth, Forrest Gregg, Mike Ditka, Herb Adderley and Jackie Smith. They made their Hall claims pre-Dallas, but they all collected Super Bowl checks with the Boys (well, expect Smith)

There are nine Steelers, nine Raiders and six Dolphins from the 1970s teams. So, are the Cowboys that "screwed" in the voting?

Also, just to throw this in there...
    St. Louis Cardinals: 1972-73
    This team went a combined 8-18-2, and yet had Jackie Smith, Larry Wilson, Roger Wherli, Don Maynard and Dan Dierdorf. So, maybe Hall of Famers have nothing to do with championships.

7. outofplace

Point being one play shouldn't make that much impact on a player's Hall of Fame credentials.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's been rectified a bit with the additions of Wright and Bullet Bob over the last couple of years. In fact, that's tamped down the "anti-Cowboy bias" accusations quite a bit, along with the Aikman/Irvin inductions and the almost certain Emmitt Smith inclusion in 2010.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Peter King talks about Al Davis pushing two raiders..Plunkett and Branch

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/31/raiders/index.html

That was tame by Davis standards, I've read reports of him pushing Lester Hayes and Tom Flores pretty hard in the past.

Every team's fans has a list of guys they think are snubbed...the Packers have Jerry Kramer and Dave Robinson. The Steelers have Andy Russell, L.C. Greenwood and Donnie Shell. The Niners do have somewhat of a beef at this point because only Montana, Young, Lott, Fred Dean and soon-to-be Rice, but who else goes in from that era? Guy McIntyre? Dwight Clark? Harris Barton? Bubba Parris? Ricky Watters? Roger Craig? Matt Millen?

10. outofplace

Outside of perhaps Craig, not one those 49ers guys there makes me think Hall of Famer.

Then again, I don't think Russell or Shell belongs, either. Greenwood is borderline, but I don't think it's any great injustice that he isn't in.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Point poorly made.

12. Simon_Cowbell

With Fred Dean getting in last year, the 49ers have no beef ... ever

Draft saved Draft deleted