1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hall of Fame: Cowboys of 70s still screwed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Mar 31, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out. Actually, there were so many flaws in the article you posted, I'm having trouble getting to them all.

I always enjoy Hall of Fame debates. Pointing out the holes in another one of your arguments is just a bonus. The fact that you would actually suggest Bruschi for the Hall of Fame proves just how clueless you really are.

Moss and Welker were not on the Super Bowl teams for the Patriots, so they really don't fit the argument no matter how desperate you are to shove them in there. Moss built up much of his resume elsewhere. Welker has had only two excellent seasons. He is a long way from the Hall of Fame.

Ty Law? Meh. Hall of Very Good.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Welkah!?! One Pro Bowl appearance, two second-team All-Pro awards and he's a Hall of Famer?

He might be HoF material, eventually. But not after only five seasons. And not after only two good seasons.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Never saw SB VI, huh?

He had a helluva case to be a repeat SB MVP.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Welker had all the juice taken out of him last year. What a daft assertion.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Huge pick six in a SB helps Law a lot.

6. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Drew Pearson should be the first guy in from that list. Staubach's go-to guy and one of the top receivers of the 70s. Harris should also be in.

Chuck Howley? He played so well in that Super Bowl, he didn't even accept the award. There were 80 turnovers in that game, he happened to get three of them. Big deal.

7. outofplace

Larry Brown had two huge interceptions in Super Bowl XXX. One or two plays shouldn't elevate a player that much.

What bothers me is that Law is probably going to get some support from the voters due to the same ridiculous logic Scribe has been using on this thread, the idea that those Patriots teams need a certain number of representatives even if the individual players really don't belong.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Now that Petah King lives in Boston.....

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I've heard Charlie Waters bitch about not being in Canton on national radio shows.

Claiming an "anti-Cowboy" bias.

Please. Waters and Cliff Harris are not Hall of Famers. Not even close. Not Larry Wilson good, certainly not Ken Houston or Ronnie Lott caliber.

Chuck Howley? Hall of Very Good.

Drew Pearson? Give that man a spot in the Push-Off Hall of Fame.

Ed "Too Tall" Jones? Borderline, but certainly not L.C. Greenwood's equal. L.C.'s still waiting, if I recall correctly.

Harvey Martin? Are you freakin' kidding me?

They got Bullet Bob in, Rayfield Wright. Dallas needs to quit their bitchin' ... that said, Ray Buck's a great guy.

10. outofplace

They can put Pearson's bust right next to Michael Irvin's. :)

The anti-Cowboys bias thing is a joke, too. I hate hearing guys whine about not getting into the Hall of Fame (Zeke's gonna want to kill me for that one).

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth, oop.

Fact is, you hear more bitching and whining from the Cowboys and their fans (and their shills in the Texas media) than any two other NFL teams.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Law has the credentials for the Hall. I covered almost his entire career, and he was some better than Very Good. All those playoff picks of Peyton Manning count for something.
    The Cowboys of the 70s have no beef compared to the 49ers of the '80s. Four Super Bowls, dominant team of a decade with two other multiple Super Bowl winners IN THEIR CONFERENCE (Giants, Redskins), and three Hall of Famers, Montana, Lott, and Rice when he's eligible. That's not right. Roger Craig is the single worst overlook of the Hall, except maybe for Ray Guy (pause while I get off hobby horse).

Draft saved Draft deleted