1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halifax again: cut 1/4 of newsroom, the non-compete BS again and no blue jeans!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Worcester Telegram & Gazette employees get fucked again. Halifax bought them, chopped out 20 of 80 newsroom employees and did some of their other stuff.

Not much detail yet on the non-compete, whether they're trying it for all the employees, or if they're just going to do it for any new hires. Oh, and there's a dress code now.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2014/06/telegram-gazettes-new-owner-cuts-one-fifth-of.html?page=all

Seriously, you've just cut a bunch of people. Your remaining employees feel like shit, and you pull a dress code on them? What does it take to be a newspaper executive again?

2. "You are your own brand," tweets a guy who was his own brand before going back to newspapers and getting laid off yesterday.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The non-compete in particular is bullshit. Employees should ignore it, it isn't going to hold up.

As for the rest ... newspaper biz sucks. Big story there.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I thought this was in reference to the paper in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yep, the Halifax forerunner that owned the paper I worked at for a couple years was big on the dress code. Reminds me of the wise words of a departed poster: If you want to pay me like a professional, then I'll dress like one.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What bugged me about the dress code for theses guys is the timing of it. You've just laid off a whole bunch of your employees' colleagues and friends. And now you're worried about what everyone is wearing? Get the priorities in order.

And not that I'd expect it to happen, but it would have been awesome if everyone showed up to work in jeans, just to tell Halifax what they thought of them.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Telegram deal also didn't include the union contract and was an asset sale. Another way the rank and file were screwed.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Used to work for an editor who is now a bigwig inside Halifax. The dress code he put in was the least of our issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted