1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halftime as antiwar forum?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 23, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did anyone else find it interesting that the rock-ribbed conservative NFL let John Fogerty play Fortunate Son? I know he's leading the United Way campaign, but I'm just surprised they let him play a Vietnam-era antiwar song like Fortunate Son. And he clearly played that one with more passion than any of the other songs in the medley.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The NFL does know that black people sing right? The league HAS heard of that little label up the street ... Motown ... right?

Wasn't there a big dustup a few months back at the Super Bowl about Motown having no representation at SBXL? And today, we get a 12-year-old white country-singin' chick performing the anthem and John "Born on the Motherfucking Bayou" Fogerty at halftime?

Did the Dallas and Detroit musical acts switch planes by mistake?

3. Played it before the SB in Jacksonville a few years ago, and it did get sold for a commercial a few years back. Of course, there's more than a little relevance to it these days.
    I agree with mb, however, in that there are some locally grown musical acts in Detroit that might have played.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The big question about John Fogarty -- who I think has had a great career -- was this: Did he hit a single note on-key during his entire halftime performance?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was actually a musical tribute to the William Clay Ford Family. ;)

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't forget it being on the Forrest Gump soundtrack. Fogerty sold out ages ago.

7. stevenash

stevenash Member

yeah, but forrest gump was a good movie

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Did Fogarty even own the rights to the song when Forrest Gump came out?

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And, look. Fogarty hops a plane and plays halftime in KC.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not likely.

Except Berry Gordy and Motown abandoned Detroit for L.A. more than 35 years ago.

Hey, whatever happened to Jack Scott? Now there's a Detroit guy who could sing -- even if he was really from Windsor.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Fogerty sounded terrible. This did seem quite the entertainment reach. and the tuneless singing only added to the out-of-it idea.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Why would anyone listen to a halftime show?

Draft saved Draft deleted