1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Half of men would dump a girlfriend who gained weight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

This survey has been making some news this week:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/187310/20110726/half-men-woman-gain-weight-poll.htm

Can't decide how I feel about it. On one hand, I want to believe in my gender and say it's just that people want their significant other to live a healthy lifestyle. That it's not about the weight or the way they look and rather just a proxy for something much less superficial.

But when I see that only 20 percent of women would dump their boyfriend for the same thing ... that faith in my gender dissipates.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Half of men would dump a girlfriend who gained weight? That sounds about right, in that the other half would lie about it and then go ahead and do it anyway.

Also, I don't mean to get all technical with the methodology of a Cosmo/AskMen poll, but there's a big difference between "gained weight" as the headline says, and "became fat" as the question asked.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How do they find out if people are lying about how many women they've been with.

Question: How many women have you slept with?

a. none
    b. 1-3
    c. 4-6
    d. 7-10
    e. 11-20
    f. 21-50
    g. 50+

Question: Did you just lie on the previous question?

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Also, how do 78% of men "sense" when their partner is faking an orgasm? Did the women tell them afterward? How do we know if the men's instincts are correct? What's the point of the question when there is no way to verify accuracy?

Plus, we fake it 100% of the time, so the question should be a no-brainer.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

An extended period of "I'll have the lot" will do that. :)

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've done this.

I dumped my fiancee when she started creeping up toward my weight...

That, and she was a ragin' bitch!

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

How many women might dump a guy if he got poor?

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

If you have a significant other and you are a member of this board, that was probably never a real concern in the first place.

Millionairematchmaker.com might be a different story.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Of course guys would drop girlfriends who gained weight -- that's why they are girlfriends and not wives.

If you were all that hung up on them, you'd probably marry them rather than wait a few years to see if they strapped on the feedbag.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Beyond that, the questions is if you would dump her if she got fat. Pretty biased question.

I bet if instead you asked men if they would drop their girlfriends if their boobs were bigger, you'd get a different response.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I had a college friend who joked that her fiance's vows would include "to have and to hold, as long as I can get my arms around you."

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Men are visual. We're attracted to what looks good. While a guy's looks are important to a woman, there are factors that are more important. At least that's what my wife tells me :).

Draft saved Draft deleted