1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Half of all employers can't find skilled workers; half of employers cheap

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Another one of these stories where employers blame everyone but themselves.

http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/13/10142795-role-reversal-employers-say-they-cant-find-workers

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The race to the bottom.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Next step is to lobby Congress to loosen the work visa restrictions so they can hire even more indentured servants from China and India and pay 60 cents on the dollar.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Get rid of those onerous minimum wage and job-killing OSHA regulations so they can hire people for 10 cents a day and a cup of rotten rice like the coolies in Bangladesh.

Oh get rid of the job-killing EPA so the workers can drink arsenic-laced water too.

We are the job creators. We want our countree back.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I do know in my community there is an unemployment rate between 8%-9%. Yet having talked the largest employer in town, they have trouble finding workers who can simply show up consistently and pass a drug test. That's really all they need because they can train the rest. And it is considerably more than minimum wage. With overtime, we're talking jobs that can easily pull 60K in the Midwest, with a low cost of living.

But don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The local employer wants you to really believe that story as well, despite the fact I doubt it's true. Usually, the working conditions are so poor at places like that that it drives employees to drug use to cope, or their body breaks down from overwork.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing nmmetsfan says from a friend in Northern California, as well as Southern California. But its definitely more believable that employers just want to pay $0.60 an hour.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I worked at a paper in rural Arizona for awhile where local meth use was off the charts high, and I heard the same thing from the manager of a local grocery store.

I have absolutely no doubt it was true. Of course, he wasn't looking for high-skill people and he wasn't paying $60k.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's a metal foundry, so I'm sure it's not easy work. But yet many people work there for many years. It's quite astonishing.

This particular place sends castings and different parts worldwide and stays booked with jobs almost years in advance. And they have to bring people in for jobs despite the high unemployment rate.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Home Depot looking to hire 2,000 in Chicago, and 70,000 nationally.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good news . . . but there's that "seasonal" word, again.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So now Home Depot counts the day laborers who hang out in their parking lot looking for odd jobs as "seasonal"?

Draft saved Draft deleted