1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halberstam dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You are correct, FB, but as you know he also played for the Colts and the Giants and probably would have been an invaluable source -- the extra kind of detail for which Halberstam is celebrated.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Anyone who wants to rip a great man like Halberstam after he dies has no respect for the work he did.

Yeah, maybe he coulda had a better editor. And what about you? Is your stuff so polished?

Halberstam wrote -- and, more significantly, reported -- more good stuff about good and bad topics than almost anyone of us could ever dream about.

Fuck the editing. Read what he wrote. Think about what he reported, and what it took to go do that reporting. Think about everything he saw, and then wrote about. The man chronicled history, and not from a telephone. He was there to watch it.

I just wish I could read the interview with Y.A. Tittle, who was waiting to talk to Halberstam when Halberstam met his death.

Sadly, that interview didn't happen, and I bet it woulda been terrific.

Draft saved Draft deleted