1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hal McRae blowup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigRed, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

are those the royals fans you guys were talking about?

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

"It's not a lie, like the Holocaust never happened."

"It's so easy, even a Puerto Rican can use it."

3. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Funny story about Hal McRae from my childhood.
    As a child growing up in Southern California, I was a diehard Angels fan. My grandparents and I would go to 40 or 50 Angel games per year. And, like most old people, my grandparents loved getting to places early, so we'd be in the stands watching the opposing team's batting practice. They'd take me down near the left-field railing where fans lined up for autographs or hoping to snare an errant ball. Me, being the gimp I was, usually attracted players who'd come over to "brighten my day." Pity's a great thing. LOL
    Anyway, one day, the Angels were playing the Royals and Hal McRae came over and began talking to me (I was around 6 or 7) and my grandparents. Before he left, he said he was going to hit a home run for me. Obviously, I wasn't too keen on the idea and being the little Gimp I was, I covered my eyes every time he came to bat. Sure enough, in the 8th inning, he crushed a homer to left field and the Royals ended up beating the Angels.
    Two nights later, it was the finale of the series and we had tickets again. We made our way down to the railing and soon after, McRae trotted over with a big smile asking if I saw the home run. I told him I had my eyes covered and he laughed. Then, I remembered something my grandpa told me to tell McRae if I happened to see him. I said: "If you want to impress me, you'll hit one tonight."
    I remember McRae laughing sort of uneasily and he said these words: "I don't think you're going to have to cover your eyes tonight, buddy."
    Sure enough, he struck out four times.

The Angels pitcher that night? Yep ... No. 30, Nolan Ryan.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

stufuckingpendous. best post i've read in days. would love to share something as cool with you, but i don't have the shit to top that.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I was told at some point that this was a joke Weaver and the host cooked up and was never aired. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Great story. Also worth noting that Ryan tossed his first career no-no in Kansas City, at the relatively new Royals Stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted