1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hal McRae blowup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigRed, Mar 23, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

We had a thread about great coaching meltdowns a while back, and I remember someone asking about Royals manager Hal McRae's legendary blowup a few years back, and saying they couldn't find it.
    Well, here it is.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Royals fanboys.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Still not better than this one... wish there was video of it somewhere:

And PRINT IT!!

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Funny story about this for me.

The day after that, the Royals had a bunch of high school sports reporters attend the game to see how the media works while at Royals games. So I went with Megan to represent our school, going through all the pregame stuff, getting the stadium tour and such before watching the game, courtesy two free tickets. They brought us to where they held press conferences at the time, so we all took seats there as the PR people explained the process.

After about five minutes, here came Hal McRae, taking a seat behind the mic. We were going to have a mock press conference with McRae, less than 24 hours after that tirade. McRae said, "OK, I'll take your questions." No one said one word for about 10 seconds, leaving McRae's eyes to scan left, then right, then left again when a smirk emerged on his face. "It's OK, you don't see any ash trays up here, do you?"

With that, we all burst into laughs. Icebreaker delivered, it went smooth after that. Just a funny moment.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Special thanks to Gutter for linking us with Mr. Elia. I hadn't heard the rant for years and I laughed all the way through it. It will remain the best, especially when you consider his team was 5-14 at the time. Marvelous.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

This tirade coined a term in my family vernacular, and still holds a place in my heart.

The original Hal McRae rule is something to the effect of a runner sliding into second has to be within an arm's reach of the base while trying to break up a double play. Apparently Hal would chase shortstops into center field back in his hey day.

Anyway, Hal kept screaming "Quit asking all those stupid-ass questions!" over and over.

My dad's idea of a conversation is to pepper you with question after question after question. Probably where I got the urge to get into the business. Anyway, if it gets to be too much, we invoke the second Hal McRae rule... quit asking all those stupid ass questions.

Rant on, Hal. Rant on.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

The audio without the video sounds better, because it seems crazier

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A legendary rant, all because of a typical second-guessing question that every manager gets 10 of after any given game.

Put that in your fucking pipe in smoke it.

Beautiful.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I had never heard that one before and I thank you, as a Cubs fan, for enlightening me with it. wow.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

There are such things?

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yes, yes there are.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's right there are! Put THAT in your fuckin' pipe and smoke it!

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Elia's is the best, but Earl Weaver's radio show will always hold a place in my heart.

On the Baltimore Orioles Baseball Fucking Network!

Draft saved Draft deleted