1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hal McCoy's run is ending...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hpdrifter, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If McCoy is indeed in institution there, I hope the city of Dayton riots upon hearing this news. Make the beancounters squirm.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So is he still going to cover home games?
    I have zero connection with the Reds, but don't mind reading a McCoy gamer once in a while just to dream of writing like that someday.
    Would they drop him from the Reds and tell him it's preps or retirement?

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's a great point, AQB.

I've never met Hal and I'm not a Reds fan, but like WriteStuff, I remember reading Hal's stuff in The Sporting News because I read all the teams' capsules so I would know what was going on in MLB.

I remember hearing the stories about Aaron Boone and Hal's deteriorating vision in the days leading up to his Cooperstown enshrinement and now I read all of the above from people in the sandbox who know Hal and his work better than I do.

But I do know this: Hal's work and knowledge of one of the most demanding beats in all of journalism is worthy of a call from the Hall. That works for me, thanks.

Unfortunately for the readers of the DDN, it doesn't work for some functionary, who defies logic by saying with a straight face the Cincinnati Reds aren't local. Why can't he cover home games?

Baron Scicluna is right. Management at the DDN has forfeited its right to utter the words "We want to improve the paper by doing. . . " Because they have taken their best asset and cast it aside.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Damn. I'm late hearing this news, but MrBSquared said it better than I could in his tremedous post. A huge blow, but McCoy handled it with class. From what I've heard and read of the man, I expected nothing less. One of the saddest in a string of too many sad days for this busniess.

5. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

One of the most decent people I've ever met—in the job, outside the job, whatever. A true shame ...

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hal is part of the rotation of writers that goes on the radio broadcast every night in the top of the second inning. And I expect Marty may raise all kinds of hell about this on the air.

7. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Never have met the man personally, but have admired him tremendously from afar. I second just about everything on here. The class and dignity he's shown in dealing with what must have felt like a stab in the heart is a great example for all us. . .Baseball Tonight did a nice interview with him last night. ESPN gets ripped on a lot -- sometimes understandably -- but kudos to them for not letting this go unnoticed.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

My best to Hal. He's a good guy who taught me a lot about MLB.
    I truly hopes that he finds something to do that he enjoys.
    At 68, Hal can now enjoy life without listening to an agent whining or a player bitching. He will be imitated but not duplicated.

9. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

Hal's departure is just another example of how tits up my former and beloved biz is these days.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Great stuff from Hal McCoy, entering what could be his last month covering baseball as a beat writer. The first three or so blogs were great stuff, especially the Brandon Phillips stuff and the notes from a doubleheader between the Pirates and Reds.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/index.html

a great line here:

SAW TWO AMAZINGLY rare things in one inning at Great American Ball Park Saturday - Craig Tatum and Paul Janish hit home runs in the same inning and Pete Rose signed an autograph for free.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

He may be leaving but he won't be forgotten.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Hal McCoy's last day...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/10/04/post_3.html

Draft saved Draft deleted