1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hal Connolly -- RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoCalDude, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

One of the most interesting Olympians ever. But had a lot of weirdness about him ... like most in the T&F sport. Died in a workout accident.
    I met him many years ago, and I covered his kids when they were in high school. One son was a great decathatlete, daughter really good volleyball player. Another son played D1 basketball then tried to be a boxer.
    I remember one of his son's basketball games in high school where Hal was sitting on one side of the gym and Olga was on the other side. And that was before they divorced.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-harold-connolly-20100820,0,7893155.story

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't one of the daughters play volleyball at UCLA?

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yes, Merja (pr. Maria). She might have been an All-American. Damn cute, too.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of the greatest athletes in our (any anybody else's) country's history. RIP.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's been 27 years since I watched her play, but I remember that particular aspect of her game.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was from Somerville, Mass! Which I never knew, despite knowing about him all my life, until today.

Draft saved Draft deleted