1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haiti earthquake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

A lack of info never stops cable news from babbling. Haiti has neither cache nor oil.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

BBC and Sky are covering it relatively well, although with a lot of repetition of the few facts that are known.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I flipped on Larry King 10 minutes ago and he was talking about it. Still is. So shift CNN into the column.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

BBC just reported that Haiti's ambassador to the U.S. hadn't been able to reach any government officials, though obviously his phones won't be working any better than any of the rest.

Many staff at the U.N. peacekeeping HQ are missing.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

CNN was covering it pretty hard at 6 p.m., at least as much as they could with what little info they had. They interviewed the Haitian ambassador to the U.S., some aid agency higher-up and Wyclef Jean, cousin or nephew to said ambassador. But there's only so much to talk about before it becomes repetitive.

And CNN is back on Haiti now.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have it on CNN. The other two are still talking pauly ticks.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Weather Channel also covering at this moment.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you're scoring at home, according to the USGS, main earthquake plus 18 aftershocks of 4.2+ within 4 hours.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Just out of curiousity, if this thing shook the shit out of Haiti. how is this guy on CNN getting a Skype connection out of the country?

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Satellite phone?

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I guess, maybe.

But shit, the guy had a better connection for Skype coming out of a shattered Haiti than I can get on my broadband service.

I don't know... maybe I'm just being unreasonably suspicious. And I'm not a big fan of cable anchors reading Twitter comments that they can't verify are really where they say they are, either.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If there are attached photos of the damage with the tweets, legitimacy can be established.

Draft saved Draft deleted