1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hail sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry to hear that, inky.

i know what it's like to live in fear of hail fucking up a nice ride.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never felt so lucky (property damage-wise) as I did when I escaped hail a few years ago in Springfield, Mo.

I relayed all of this on SJ at the time, but I was at the hotel and storms were coming. There was a big purple blotch on the radar (I believe I described it as the size of Grimace's genitalia) that indicated hail ... it was about to envelop the metro area. I saw my car sitting out there unprotected in the parking lot and decided to get the fuck out of Dodge to lay low under a bridge or something.

Some colleagues of mine drove up and I told them we needed to find shelter. As if on cue, the monsoon starts. We get a half-mile up the main drag and hail straight out of the Bible starts falling. We take shelter underneath a gas station overhang. Oh, and winds were in the 50-mile-per-hour territory and a tornado touched down the other direction from where we drove.

One of my buddies went out and picked a piece of hail up ... it was the size of fucking grapefruit. Never seen anything like it.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry to hear about the damage. That sucks.

I can say, however, that it was a hailstorm that allowed me to buy my beloved Pontiac Sunfire for about $3,000 less than the list price. The car had a bunch of tiny little hail dings all over it, and since dependability and driveability are way more important to me than looks, it was like a gift from heaven, literally.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Update: Roof leak this morning, into our newly renovated kitchen. Wife is Not Happy.

Climbed up there and the shingles look like a really soft Par 3 green after a day where no golfers fix their divots. Still can't figure out where the leak is coming from.

Oh well, at least I didn't get drunk up there and fall off. ;D

I'm off to the insurance office. As JayFarrar says when he's about to do something not fun at all "Wheeee!"

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

other than that, how was the trip to branson?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Chinese buffet was to die for.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wheee, indeed.
    Local TV people are on armegeddon storm watch.
    Sick. Of. This.

Sorry to hear about the damage. I suspect that when I go home, my house won't be there or something.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

:D

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I've seen softball-size hail before.

Fucked up an entire village.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sometimes, you have to tear down a village to save it.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sing it, sing it ...

Draft saved Draft deleted